Sundown Audio

Help!! Crescendo amp now going into protect

TravisFoster

I need some help here, I really dont wanna have to send this thing into crescendo and get it back a year later.

My full equipment list is in my build log, but its the Crescendo BC2000D on 2 SA-15s dual 4 walled, dual alts, extra battery, big 3, nice pioneer deck.

Anyways my buddy wanted to test his 4th order SA-8s dual 4 also, so we ran a 10 foot speaker lead to his box in his car, was clipping on the knob at lower volume than normal (amp is DD-1 checked btw) but I figured as much due to the increased resistance in the speaker wires, they were 14 gauge i believe. Turned it up to my normal max (just before distortion on DD-1) and the amp went into protect. Turned it back on no problem. Hook my stuff up and now its shows clipping like crazy at volume 35 instead of 48, and i can get up to about 45 and the amp goes into protect.

I put a DMM on the + and - on the amp, never goes below 14v. Plugged ipod with adapter directly into rca inputs, same story.

Any ideas?? Is the amp toast??

Any input would be greatly appreciated (also let me know if this topic needs to be in a different section) Thanks guys.

You sure you weren't actually wired to a short or something?

Sometimes, you can either have a wire fray out and cause the outputs on the amp to short out, or the sub was just plain wired wrong so the amp is basically at 0 ohms. You sure that didn't happen?

Everything was wired correctly, but if there was a short wouldnt everything go back to normal with the original equipment that has been working for months??

Not if said short damaged something inside the amp

How do you know it was wired correctly? Did you check the ohm load with a DMM when you had it wired up?

Not with my buddy's subs, thats obviously were there was a problem. but he had his subs running in the same fashion with a 600.1 but wasnt enough power so we gave the 2k a try and then this happened. so i guess it is possible that something inside the amp fried then.

Yep you need to go over all the wiring from your amp to the sub box and inside the sub box. Make sure theres no frayed wires touching anything their not supposed to.

Use a multimeter and test your speaker wire to the subs directly at the amp with them unhooked from the amp, you should read right about 1 ohm if thats how you have it wired.

double check power and ground make sure its all tight and not corroded... Then I would start to blame the amplifier.

98' dodge ram

140A alt

Big 3

XS D2700

JVC kd-r310

Rockford T500-1BDCP

2 Sundown E12 Ported 4cubes 35hz

Rockford P400-4

2 Infinity reference 3way 6x9

2 Polk DB 5 1/4

2x layer dynamat all doors

Thanks guys, everything wiring-wise is perfect, around 1 ohm on the subs, good voltage, Crescendo guy said its most likely a transformer then so i guess I'll just send it in.

Archived