Sundown Audio

DVC speakers with 4 channel amp question

Jessica

That's why I figured i would run the left channel to channel "A" and the right channel to channel "B" so i don't have to gain match coils on each speaker.

I would have to do some gain matching of course so one speaker isn't louder than the other, but that doesn't have to be as precise as it would be for two coils on one speaker.

I just don't know for sure if the amp would be happy like that.

• 1 month later...

Going to bump my old thread. See if i can get an answer this time.

I will rephrase the question too.

Skar 85.4

8" dual 4ohm voice coil speaker

I want to keep stereo output.

I want to run one channel to each coil

These are mid bass speakers and that is why i want to keep stereo operation.

This is where it gets kind of complicated.

Here is my question, and I may have to just try both to see what works but i want to ask anyway.

Which of these two ways would be the safest, or would one or the other not even work at all.

1. Run the left and right inputs normally into the amp, (standard way)

Channel "Front Left" to one coil on the left speaker, "Rear Left" to the other coil same speaker. (front and rear left to same speaker)

Channel "Front Right" to one coil on the Right speaker, "Rear Right" to the other coil same speaker. (front and rear right to same speaker)

Then Gain match.

or

2. Run Left input to Front, and Right Input to Rear. (should make Front channels "left" and Rear Channels "right")

Front Left to one coil on Left speaker, Front Right to other coil same speaker (both front channels are left channel)

Rear Left to one coil on Right speaker, Rear Right to other coil same speaker (both rear channels are right channel)

Then Gain Match.

In my second method, since i am using the amps Left/Right for one speaker and those two channels have the same signal, then each coil should see the same power. But I don't know for sure if the amp would like it or not.

Anyway, Has anyone had any experience trying to do something like this?

Archived