Second Skin Audio

magnet size, voice coil size, etc... effect?

bassfreake

this may be a stupid n00b question... but title pretty much says it... what effect does having a heavier magnet and/or bigger voice coils have on a sub? I mean like you got a 1000w sub with a 10lb magnet and a 2inch 3 layer voice coil and a 1000w sub with a 30lb magnet and a 4 inch 8 layer voice coil... both of them are running on 1000w so what's the difference?

Thanks I was pretty excited about the alt myself. kind of like a school girl, in a dress, on a swing. lol

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

My Build Log

A sub is the sum of all it's parts, so adding a larger magnet may or may not improve things and same thing with coils. you have to know what each part does and contributes to the goal your trying to achieve. There are many things you don't see that can contribute to the subs overall performance, so it helps to have an understanding of how they work and what a particular goal you have in mind that can and will dictate the parts you choose.

There are many people on this forum with much more knowledge than myself on the subject that can give a much more detailed explanation.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

For one, a 2in 3layer coil wouldn't be on a 1000wrms rated woofer. 2.5in at least, even when coming to kicker or alpine.(they might use those 2.6 or whatever that wierd size is)

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

For one, a 2in 3layer coil wouldn't be on a 1000wrms rated woofer. 2.5in at least, even when coming to kicker or alpine.(they might use those 2.6 or whatever that wierd size is)

I was just using arbetrary numbers in an attempt to have an example that expressed significant difference in the subs. my appologies for the inaccuracy.

Thanks I was pretty excited about the alt myself. kind of like a school girl, in a dress, on a swing. lol

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

My Build Log

A bigger cool 9 times out of 10 will have a higher rms rating due to its ability to dissipate heat faster due to more surface area and amount of either copper or aluminum. Next, the larger motors will usually be paired with a beefy spider set up or still suspension so the large magnetic force on the coil doesn't launch the cone off the woofer. Plus the larger magnet is needed to control a big heavy coil and it will allow it to maintain some fidelity as well.

(If I'm off on anything, someone please correct me)

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/

So for example, say you have a Sundown SA-15 and replace it with a Zv3 or a Nightshade. Would the gain be dependent on the amount of power used?

So the smaller woofer would actually be louder on its rated power than the bigger woofer on the same power? Assuming it was reaching xmax?

2007 M/T Honda Civic Coupe EX

(4) Sundown Audio X-8's

(2) Ampere Audio 3800.1's

(3) Stinger SPV-44 Batteries

(1) Mechman 240

3:1 Ratio 4th order sealed from the trunk

TEAM NWSPL

Best termlab scores to date in Honda trunk:
151.7db legal (official) IASCA trunk 3 class

Best termlab scores to date in my walled Subie:
152.9db legal (unofficial) IASCA advanced 2 class
155db outlaw

So for example, say you have a Sundown SA-15 and replace it with a Zv3 or a Nightshade. Would the gain be dependent on the amount of power used?

So the smaller woofer would actually be louder on its rated power than the bigger woofer on the same power? Assuming it was reaching xmax?

That is completely box dependent, the enclosure recommendations are different for the SA and the zv3. And sometimes the smaller woofer is louder at rms then a bigger woofer at 1/4 rms. but it is all depended on many things. You never really know. I had a single XL 15 on 2k be louder than my Lv5 18on 3k because of the poor box I made for the lv5 that was too small.

There is no definitive answer across the board ever when coming to subwoofer behavior and the 20 factors that go along.

I was actually looking at like for example if I have an AQ HDC315 which has 1000w rms 340oz magnet and 3 inch 8 layer voice coil against an Audiopipe TXX-APX15 which has 1000w rms 150oz magnet and 3 inch 8 layer voice coil... same rms rating same amount of juice what effect would the almost 200oz of extra magnet and the extra 4 layers of voice coil have? (these are just examples not looking for an actually comparison of the subs "AQ vs AP" just comparing specs and trying to understand why have one with so much more weight and layers what purpose does it serve etc)

My Build Log

I was actually looking at like for example if I have an AQ HDC315 which has 1000w rms 340oz magnet and 3 inch 8 layer voice coil against an Audiopipe TXX-APX15 which has 1000w rms 150oz magnet and 3 inch 8 layer voice coil... same rms rating same amount of juice what effect would the almost 200oz of extra magnet and the extra 4 layers of voice coil have? (these are just examples not looking for an actually comparison of the subs "AQ vs AP" just comparing specs and trying to understand why have one with so much more weight and layers what purpose does it serve etc)

one is quality, the other isn't.

the 1000w rating on the hdc3 is a joke. it will easily handle twice that.

maybe I should specify that this question is really kinda more of a theoretical kinda question than practical. I'm mostly just trying to get a basic understanding of like things to look at from one sub to another and in general how the different specs on a sub effect the overall goal of the sub, the volume of the sub, the quality of the sound of the sub, etc. in the time I've spent of looking at various subs that are out there I've noticed vast differences in these and other specs from sub to sub and just trying to understand why that is and what effects it has on the overall function and goal.

My Build Log

Archived