Second Skin Audio

Dumb Question: Where does the port begin?

Jessica

Add half the width of the port to the overall length and that's your effective port length.

Since the line to 1 is greater than the width of the port,one inch past 2 is where your port starts.

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

Add half the width of the port to the overall length and that's your effective port length.

Since the line to 1 is greater than the width of the port,one inch past 2 is where your port starts.

Ok, so it is an "imaginary" number then(Based on port width). Just before the port entrance. I know this wont make or break the box in this case, But it helps to know these things when it counts. Know what i mean?

I usually measure half the kerf on the flare for the exit point. When you start adding all that, up things can get whacky quick. 1.5 inches here and an inch there and you change volume tuning and port area quick. All in all, it will still be better than prefab and as long as i can get my volume around 4cuft and tuning around 33 to 36hz i will be happy. I listen to music, i just don't want to accidently build a 40hz burper after days of cutting and building.

Thanks

So, pretty much the selected area is the effective Port right?

kerf20_zps5aff4bac.jpg

edit

Ignore that part box looking thing on the front. It isn't actually part of the box.

Oops I meant one inch past 2 assuming port width is 2 inches... Like I said just add half the width of your port because one port wall is contiguous with the internal wall.

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

well, the port is 3.5, splits to 1.75 for each side, so i add .75 (close enough) to the length. found center of kerf, cut the whole thing in half, got the area. Divided that by 1.75 and got 27" give or take.

Was getting 24.5 before so that is huge once it starts eating the volume of the box. That's why i am OCD'ing on this lol. But using the numbers above it looks real nice in torres.

3.82cuft, 27" long port and 35.4hz with just shy of 60 sqinches of port.

Archived