Second Skin Audio

Dumb Question: Where does the port begin?

Jessica

Look at this picture and please read the following question.

Question. Where does the port actually begin, and what is considered air space for the sub woofer?

I know to measure half way into the flared opening to find the end of the port, i just want to know when assembled, what will the sub see for aire space and what is conidered the beginning of the port. It wont make a large difference in tuning i know, but I am OCD about this stuff so please help.

kerfboxJPG_zpsf8078ced.jpg

(also just noticed kerf port boxes make a DC logo lol)

well i believe the answer is right in front of you. measure the start of the front baffle, and then measure the arc of the kerf.

How do the Japanese feel about bass?

You know that since 03/11/11

Progene? I just saw that stuff on CNN. They said it makes your junk shrink all up. lol.

im pretty sure the op wont even notice if it gets even smaller.

Refs - Pstone11, porksoda, coleman

well i believe the answer is right in front of you. measure the start of the front baffle, and then measure the arc of the kerf.

I think you misunderstood my question:

I want to know, is the port opening inside the box actually the port start, or is it some imaginary spot a few inches before the port.. These things are rarely obvious

It really doesn't need to be that exact, take the outside width of the flare divide in half and find the depth where that fits, place subs towards the "front", hell that's going to be hard to build.

The Kerfing isnt an issue, I have two ways to make it work out. So if one fails i have a failsafe to correct it.

I guess my question asking skills suck,

I don't care about measurements, or where to cut, or anything like that.

All i want to know. In ANY slot port box. Is the beginning of the port actually the beginning of the port. Inside the box. How can i word this so it makes sense? lol

More of a box theory question than a box building question

Well, i guess it isn't critical.

I think he is asking if the port starts at point 1 or 2. When the port width is roughly the same as the length to the wall? I have always wondered this myself.

EDIT: forgot the damn image LOL

kerfboxjpgzpsf8078ced.jpg

Kenwood KIV-701
Crescendo BC2000D
DC Audio lvl3 w/ lvl4 upgrade, 18''
6ft^3 @ 27hz
MBquart ONX 4.125
(2) PWX 6.5

(2) PWX 8
(2) FT1
300amp Singer with VCM @14.5
Optima YT & D1200
My Build Log
dcsig.jpg

every company has their niche market. hifonics has successfully captured the average ignorant teenage boy.

Dont trip.. Ive never won anything in my life. Spite a 10lb cock and a bucket of balls at birth,......
Yeah.. like i said, nothing in my life. :shrug: meh, im cool with it, fuck it.

I think he is asking if the port starts at point 1 or 2. When the port width is roughly the same as the length to the wall? I have always wondered this myself.

Ding Ding, we have a winner!

Ding Ding, we have a winner!

Not in that box, for the physical length to be extended, the width of the port has to equal the distance to the sidewall, for that not to happen the physical length plus the width of the port should not reach the sidewall.

Archived