Second Skin Audio

Does anyone want me to model a sub box for them?

TLEJ

I've been trying to get a box idea laid out using SketchUp. But I'm struggling figuring out how to do everything in the program. If you want to take a shot at it that would be awesome.

Here's what I'm trying to do... I have a 97 Eclipse Hatchback. The box I have now was built for a trunk car (with a bigger trunk) with the subs and port firing backward. But the box is close the what the specs JL Audio calls for for my subs (I have a pair of 12w6v2-D4s). But that box in my Eclipse puts the subs literally 1" from the back wall. So I'm gonna have to build a new box with the subs and port firing up into the hatch. Not the best solution I know, but it's all I have room for. The current box is very tight.

The dimensions of my box now are:

34"Wx13.5"Tx18"D

sub displacement is: .090 ft3 each

outside dimension is: 12.5"

mounting hole is: 11.5"

bolt circle is: 11.86"

mounting depth is: 7.6"

magnet diameter is: 6.65"

recommend volume is: 1.5 ft3 per sub

recommended port volume per sub is: 543.75 inch3 which tunes to 32.2 Hz.

I still don't have my head wrapped around what is lost or gained by raising or lowering the tuning frequency. But I figure going by JL specs will give me a good result.

With all of those specs, here's what I'm thinking I want to do... I've built plenty of normal, everyday square boxes. But for this one, I want to test my carpentry skills and build something the is functionally correct and encompasses all of the cool stuff I've seen in some of the stuff at the car audio shows. I'm not the best carpenter in the world. But hey... wood is cheap right?

So here are the goals in a perfect world...

I want subs up, port or ports up.

I want a double baffle with the subs flush mounted.

I want to try my hand at kerfing, so I want the port between the subs and double kerfed if possible, or alternatively, two single kerfed ports outside of the subs.

I want two internal braces with some kind of cool pattern to them.

I want 45s in all corners of the ports(s) and box.

I want to paint the insides of the port(s) gloss fire engine red.

I want to wrap the box in charcoal gray vinyl.

I want to light the inside of the port(s) with red LEDs

I want anything else that would be "trick" you can think of...lol!

Please don't take all of the "I want's as demanding...lol. I'm just telling you what I'm seeing in my head in a perfect world.

Let me know what you think and what can and can't be done with the space I have. And anything else you might need to know that I might have missed.

Thanks so much for your help!

Cool, what kind of car do you have?

2008 Civic Si Sedan. I'm torn between a wall with 2 18's or 2 15's in the trunk firing into the cabin.

Box-33"Wx14"Hx28"D

Port-5.5"Wx12.5"Hx30"L Center port.

Sub cutouts 11 3/8"

This box won't work, the port is to long for the box, and if I move the holes to the other side of the box, then they don't fit. 11.375 * 2 + 5.5 = 28.25" .. (Box is only 28" ;)

You can bend it

Archived