which would be better for sq ... not a vs thread

michigancapri92

ok so i am looking at speakers for my a-pillars and i am wondering ... what would be the better option...

running a 4" 2-way component set on a 2 channel 130 watt amp ... crossover for the tweeter is 3600hz

or is i should get the same 4" and run a little better tweeter and have them separate on a 4 channel amp and run the tweeter crossover alot lower at 1500hz or 2000hz

i will have the availability on the 360.3 ... here are the speakers i plan on running for component set http://www.cdtaudio.com/main_series/es/es42i.htm

and the active set i would run the same 4" but with this tweeter http://www.cdtaudio.com/sep_components/tweeters/es010.htm

one other thing i like about the active set up is the tweeter can play up to 22khz whereas the component set will play to 20khz

let meh know

edit: the main question is should i run active or passive ?

My tweeters are crossed over at 2600 htz ... Don't see any need to go any lower than that.

With the 4" midbass driver and the tweeter going to be installed so close to each other, there will be no need to time align and EQ them separate.

Therefore, should be no problems running this setup passive on a 2 channel amp ...

Then run your door 6.5" midbass drivers on a separate 2 channel amp so you can time align and EQ independantly.

You could run a 4 channel amp on this setup, but I HIGHLY recommend separate 2 channel amps ...

Basically running active and passive ... Should be no problems with the 360.3

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

i was kind of thinking that also but with so many things you can costomize on the 360.3 per channel besides just time align .... like crossover slopes, phase, eq, volume, ect i was thinking i would get more out of it than the crossover that comes with the speakers

With setting the things up like I said, you can always go fully active with it ...

But I doubt there will be a noticable difference. Only one way to find out ... trial, error, test and tune !!!

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

This true! I think because I like the tweeter I picked out for the active setup ima go active for now cuz I don't like the specs on the tweeter that come with comp and if I don't like the active setup I can buy the crossover and 4 channel is bridgeable

You will need 6 channels of amplification for your application ...

EDIT: well 8 ... 2 channels for your rears ...

two 2-channel amps for the doors and one 4 channel amp for the a-pillar .... 8 channels of amplification !

• 2 weeks later...

I need to see the truck of your car again ... this is going to be ALOT of room being taken up by amplifiers ...

Not sure if I will be back your way before I load up your car for SBN ...

this is for the edge not the capri haha i think i have the capri set how i like ! i would like to get Ray to look it over again now that we are only working with a 2-way set-up but as far as everything else goes we are all set ... now i have the right amount of amp for speakers ... a 2-channel for the door speaker and the tweeter and a mono for the subs ... with the kick panels no longer playing it is a world of difference my wires are secured and everything is a go ... the only thing i see wrong is no cover for the doors :-(

this is for the edge not the capri haha

I was talking about the Edge ... LOL

Sounds good my brother !!! Going to go and get the trailer this weekend and have it ready to go !!!

Archived