Finding needed alternator and battery power

I was wondering if someone could explain to me how to find how much alternator and battery power needed for X amount of current draw. I've searched a bit, but I can't seem to find anything that actually goes through the math. I always see people just throwing out alternator suggestions and battery suggestions without actually going into how they got to their conclusions. I'd love to know how to figure it out for myself. So if anyone can help, that would be awesome!

2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7 club cab - Sold 2004 Audi S4 Avant

- Fi and Crescendo - Stock Bose System

- http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147725-2002-dodge-dakota-end-of-the-road/?hl=%202002%20%20dakota

136.4 Sealed @ 29hz

137.0 Drivers window open @ 26hz

Well, if you know how much current draw you are going to have its really easy. Ideally, you want to get an alternator that puts out at least that much current. Batteries are used for two reasons:

1) to act as a buffer between your alternator and amp. Amps will demand power faster than the alternator can supply so the battery(ies) acts as the buffer.

2) because you don't have enough alt power so the batteries will supply the extra power for longer. In other words delay your voltage drop.

Team NorthWestSPL

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

Well, if you know how much current draw you are going to have its really easy. Ideally, you want to get an alternator that puts out at least that much current. Batteries are used for two reasons:

1) to act as a buffer between your alternator and amp. Amps will demand power faster than the alternator can supply so the battery(ies) acts as the buffer.

2) because you don't have enough alt power so the batteries will supply the extra power for longer. In other words delay your voltage drop.

Well right now I'm planning on a BC5500D at 1 ohm, along with a C1100.4 running at 2 ohms for the mid channels and probably 8 ohms for the tweeters. If figure this will be about 700 amps of draw at the max. I've been looking at the DC Power 370, but it would also be sweet if I could do a dual setup with two Mechman 240's or something.

Another thing I would like to find out is how long you can go before voltage starts dropping with an "underpowered" alternator and a battery bank.

- http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147725-2002-dodge-dakota-end-of-the-road/?hl=%202002%20%20dakota

136.4 Sealed @ 29hz

136.4 Sealed @ 29hz

^the other link will answer that question well, rather than me re-explaining it lol Its explained well there. Like I said, that much alt power would be "ideal." But it is usually not feasible. For your setup the 370 will be great and have fewer headaches than a dual alt setup

Team NorthWestSPL

Archived