Second Skin Audio

LEDs on subs

Bradprobert

this was a setup i used to have in my subaru legacy back in the day, just hook the leds into the speaker inputs on the amp, they wont blow well i never had an issue. pretty cool though. haha blue lights everywhere !http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRx6mtm-AbY

That's basically what I did, But I hooked it up directly to the terminals on the subwoofer box. I never had a problem with them.

Skar Audio SDR 10" x2 (Sealed Box)

Skar Audio 1500.1D (1 Ohm) x1

Skar Audio TX525c (Front with dash tweeter) x1

Kenwood Excelon KFC-X173 (Rear Coax) x1

JL Audio 360.4 (Mids & Highs Amp) x1 

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

this was a setup i used to have in my subaru legacy back in the day, just hook the leds into the speaker inputs on the amp, they wont blow well i never had an issue. pretty cool though. haha blue lights everywhere !http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRx6mtm-AbY

That's basically what I did, But I hooked it up directly to the terminals on the subwoofer box. I never had a problem with them.

thats great ! yup i looked at a video on how to do it and the guy was like yea just hook this up here and your good to go

TEAM Northwest SPL

TEAM SHOK

The best option is to get an LED controller.

The LED strips have resistors built into them that are designed for 12v.

Connecting to an amp output could pulse much higher voltage and damage the resistors/LEDs.

Just because they initially work, it doesn't mean they aren't being damaged over time.

Diodes usually fail "short" which is not good on a device that is not fused and directly connected to a high current supply (amplifier).

LED controllers are cheap and give you lots of options for different pulsing patterns and adjustable brightness.

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

Connecting to an amp output could pulse much higher voltage and damage the resistors/LEDs.

Just because they initially work, it doesn't mean they aren't being damaged over time.

Diodes usually fail "short" which is not good on a device that is not fused and directly connected to a high current supply (amplifier).

LED controllers are cheap and give you lots of options for different pulsing patterns and adjustable brightness.

very true, i mean who knew if i kept them in there for ever on that initial setup, thanks for the explanation

TEAM Northwest SPL

TEAM SHOK

Hooking up LEDs directly to your speaker terminals is like maxing out the gain because it "works"

Hooking up LEDs directly to your speaker terminals is like maxing out the gain because it "works"

I don't understand? It worked for 4 years without any ill effects to anything to my system and the LEDs still work perfectly.

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

very true, i mean who knew if i kept them in there for ever on that initial setup, thanks for the explanation

Sure thing. :good:

I'm not saying that directly connecting to an amp is always a bad thing.

Depends on the internal voltage rails of the amp.

Some smaller amps may work fine, but larger ones could be trouble.

Another thing to remember is that an amp outputs an AC signal.

LEDs (diodes) only conduct in one direction so you're really only getting light on half your sound wave.

A controller should react to a signal in both directions.

Probly not a big deal as half-wave may be plenty of light but something to think about....

More to think about.

LED controllers have either small microphones, audio jacks or both.

Be careful with the little microphones if you mount them in close proximity to your sub-box.

The higher SPL could damage the microphone.

I had a controller that flaked out for that reason.

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

Sure thing. :good:

I'm not saying that directly connecting to an amp is always a bad thing.

Depends on the internal voltage rails of the amp.

Some smaller amps may work fine, but larger ones could be trouble.

Another thing to remember is that an amp outputs an AC signal.

LEDs (diodes) only conduct in one direction so you're really only getting light on half your sound wave.

A controller should react to a signal in both directions.

Probly not a big deal as half-wave may be plenty of light but something to think about....

More to think about.

LED controllers have either small microphones, audio jacks or both.

Be careful with the little microphones if you mount them in close proximity to your sub-box.

The higher SPL could damage the microphone.

I had a controller that flaked out for that reason.

Is it just any LED controller? I would like to add more LEDs to my new system I am getting, But as you said it may create problems later on. I only used the 2 led pods on a Alpine Mrp-1000 at 2 ohms. The new system will be substantially bigger than what I had. Any chance on a link? If you could also direct me to some LEDs that would pulse that would be good also.

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

lol dude that's freakin epic!! I totally want to do that with my car in blue like that but somehow I feel like doing the interior lights of my car in bright ass blue when my car is red would just be weird lol

Thanks I was pretty excited about the alt myself. kind of like a school girl, in a dress, on a swing. lol

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

My Build Log

lol dude that's freakin epic!! I totally want to do that with my car in blue like that but somehow I feel like doing the interior lights of my car in bright ass blue when my car is red would just be weird lol

dude thanks , i kinda went through a LED light phase if you will. haha had them for awhile then pulled them all out, one time i hooked all the lights up lol rave show in my car while i was driving haha, man i miss this though, good times

TEAM Northwest SPL

TEAM SHOK

Archived