wiring

bassfreake

ok last "you dumb noob" feeling inducing question for a while I swear...

when you're wiring multiple speakers to the same channel does it matter if you chain the speakers together (wire from amp to speaker1... then speaker1 to speaker2... then speaker2 to speaker3... etc) or just run them all back to the amp? I mean aside from the second one taking alot more wire... and the potential for an over abundance of wire all stuffed into the terminal on the amp... assuming all the speakers on that particular channel are the same would it make any difference one way or another? I've always just wired my subs in a chain just wondering if doing it the other way would be any better or worse...

in some back corner of my mind I can kinda sorta imagine on both sides where there might be potential for that way to be less than perfect... (for a chain, maybe each one it runs through could cause just a little bit more resistance dulling the power... whereas the other way just generally all that extra wire needed to go back to the amp every time might slow things down)

Thanks I was pretty excited about the alt myself. kind of like a school girl, in a dress, on a swing. lol

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

My Build Log

If you daisy-chain then the initial run of wire from the amp to the first speaker must be able to carry the current for all the speakers.

This is all speakers in parallel.

Ex: each speaker pulls 10A and you have 4 speakers.

That first run of wire must handle 40A. Second run must do 30A. Third run 20A. Last run 10A.

If you run seperate wires for each speaker then those seperate wires can be smaller as they'd each only have to supply current for each speaker (Ex: 10A).

If all speakers are in series then the same current flows through all speakers. All wire should be equal and large enough for the needed current.

Assumes all speakers are equal impedances.

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

ooh... ok good to know thanks for the info. I always wondered what parallel wiring vs series wiring meant... hmm... I hope the wire on my subs can handle the juice for both subs once I actually give them real juice... I always just had them on an Audiopipe 1800 but once I got around to wiring them down to 1ohm I never turned the amp up higher than about 1/3 power cuz higher than that they gave me feedback... but there was alot wrong with that setup anyway... on that setup I had a 0 gauge wire joined directly into a 4 gauge wire no stepping down or nothing (some car audio guy's idea of putting a 0 gauge wire in a 4 gauge hole) had a 4 gauge ground (since of course... there's only a 4 gauge actually going into the amp so you only need a 4 gauge ground right? ... also same car audio guy's idea) and that 4 gauge was ground onto the bolt on my back seat... still with the paint on the bolt too... (different car audio guy's idea)

Thanks I was pretty excited about the alt myself. kind of like a school girl, in a dress, on a swing. lol

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

My Build Log

What wire size are you running to the subs?

2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

16 gauge speaker wire I believe. I'm glad I asked this question about wiring since I was planning to start running 2k to them in a couple weeks lol

My Build Log

That is a bit small.

What can the amp output terminals handle?

That's always a good rule of thumb to follow is to just run the max wire into the terminals.

2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

SOTM BUILD:

not sure I haven't gotten the new amp yet. the old amp could handle 8 gauge but there's no way to fit 2 8 gauge wires in the terminals on the subs that's why I dropped to 16 gauge when I rewired them to 1ohm cuz I had some of that left over from my old subs

My Build Log

I prefer to shave off a couple strands and have a little bit of patients and get Both them in there. :) maybe just me

My old YouTube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/SwordLords1234?feature=mhee

My old build log : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/161872-96-accord-b2-sundown-sky-high-dc-power-re-re-build-for-heatwave/page-37

My New Build - http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/207041-2016-mazda-6-sql-build/

2016 Mazda 6 Touring

JL Fix 86 - OEM signal correction

B2 prototype DSP 6to8

B2 Ref63 - 3 way active set

2 B2 Class H quattro's

1 B2 Zero.5R @.5

2 B2 HNv3 12 d2

B2 SLIP40 - Lithium in the trunk

Northstar Group 35 under the hood

100ft 2/0 welding cable

30ft 4ga welding cable

20ft 8ga welding cable

All stinger OFC speaker wire

Soundrive custom RCA's

Tons of attention to detail.... Can it be perfect?

hmm... if I stripped the wire a little farther up (high enough to have double what I would need to fit it in the terminal on the sub) and then twisted the wires together and wrapped it in electrical tape... ik it wouldn't be pretty but would that be a way to get both wires "connected" to the terminal without having to get both 8 gauge wires in? or else is there something between 16 and 8 that I could get that would fit? if I can help it I like to prefer to try to not trim half the wires to make stuff fit if I can help it... maybe I'm just paranoid but that doesn't seem like it would really be any better for my system than what F**ked up my system last time... guy at the car audio shop told me that to get a 1/0 gauge wire in a 4 gauge hole I could just use a random spare fuse that I had lying around and put the 1/0 gauge in one end and the 4 gauge in the other end (the fuse wasn't actually being used as a fuse for anything that fuse was a 50A higher rating than the fuse I had by my battery) ... needless to say that was a really bad idea all it succeeded in doing was winding up with a nicely charred 4 gauge wire and the plastic around the terminal melted and fused to what was left of the 4 gauge.

My Build Log

hmm... if I stripped the wire a little farther up (high enough to have double what I would need to fit it in the terminal on the sub) and then twisted the wires together and wrapped it in electrical tape... ik it wouldn't be pretty but would that be a way to get both wires "connected" to the terminal without having to get both 8 gauge wires in? or else is there something between 16 and 8 that I could get that would fit? if I can help it I like to prefer to try to not trim half the wires to make stuff fit if I can help it... maybe I'm just paranoid but that doesn't seem like it would really be any better for my system than what F**ked up my system last time... guy at the car audio shop told me that to get a 1/0 gauge wire in a 4 gauge hole I could just use a random spare fuse that I had lying around and put the 1/0 gauge in one end and the 4 gauge in the other end (the fuse wasn't actually being used as a fuse for anything that fuse was a 50A higher rating than the fuse I had by my battery) ... needless to say that was a really bad idea all it succeeded in doing was winding up with a nicely charred 4 gauge wire and the plastic around the terminal melted and fused to what was left of the 4 gauge.

I would stay away from twisting wire together and using e-tape.

Not secure at all. e-tape gets a bit slimy when heated and may not hold properly.

It is a hassle dealing with those damn speaker push-terminals and trying to use multiple wires.

A couple of options:

1.) Run separate wires from each voicecoil out to bolts or some other solid termination mechanism on the side of your sub-box. You can then configure your wiring as needed with ring terminals on the speaker wire which connect to the bolts.

2.) Stack-able banana-plugs. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=091-1075

Wire from the amp inserts into the banana-plug, screwed down and secured. The banana-plug end is then inserted into the push-terminal of the Sub. A second wire is inserted into another banana-plug and then insert the second banana-plug into the first (stack-able). The other end of the second wire is then routed to the second Sub.

Probably a good idea to use plenty of shrink-wrap on the wire-banana-plug interface to make sure the banana-plugs don't rotate and short positive and negative together.

2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

SOTM BUILD:

Archived