Sundown Audio

Can someone help a newbie out?

I'm looking to upgrade my system in my crew cab silverado. I have a box for 2 10's with about 1 cube for each woofer. I was going to get the new compR 10's from kicker when they came out but I have since looked at the SD-2 10's by sundown. Can someone tell me if these are good woofers or not? I'd be wanting to put a 1000 watt amp on them but I don't know where to start. Are the d2's 2 ohm or 4 ohm? D4? What amp and sub do i need?! Help !! What ohm load?! *facepalm*

Sundown is way better than Kicker first off...they are 600w rms so a 1200w amp would be ideal, they can handle more but play it safe...dual 4ohm for both subs to run your amp at 1ohm

you will want to run a ported box for them in order to get the best performance out of them...not a prefab box, build your own enclosure

http://www.stevemead...cherokee-build/

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Alpine CDE-hd148bt

Alpine PKG-RSE2

PRV Audio (4) 6MB200 front/rear doors

PRV Audio (4) TW350Ti dash/rear doors

Kicker KX350.4

Obsidian Audio (1) 18 D4 v2

revamp (2) Stereo Integrity HT 18d2
DC Audio 1.2k
5.25ft^3 tuned @34hz

revamp Infinite Baffle Cpillar

AudioTechnix 60mil deadener
KnuKonceptz & SkyHigh wire (complete setup)

stroupe79.jpg

Sundown is way better than Kicker first off...they are 600w rms so a 1200w amp would be ideal, they can handle more but play it safe...dual 4ohm for both subs to run your amp at 1ohm

you will want to run a ported box for them in order to get the best performance out of them...not a prefab box, build your own enclosure

x2 on all that cept the "sundown is way better than kicker". makes it seem like a vs thread. everyone has their own opinions. But, as far as the box? I would get one built by someone since you're new. I'm still new too and I wouldn't attempt it (it costs way too much for my financial budget to be messing it up all the time). I'm sure there's at least one member on here that knows how to build boxes and is close to you that'd build you one for the right price.

Sheena = pedobear

I'm working with limited space due to only having the space behind my rear seats. This box is very sturdy and has worked well with my past systems. I'm hesitant about running at 1 ohm since I've heard of problems overheating. Is 2 ohm better? Or is 1 ohm plenty safe? My truck has the big 4 upgrade also. Also looking for some input on someone who has used the sd-2 10's or from sundown themselves. Thank you.

provided you have a good amp and a sturdy electrical running at 1ohm is just fine and if you have a quality amp you shouldn't have any problems running it at 1 ohm

Thanks I was pretty excited about the alt myself. kind of like a school girl, in a dress, on a swing. lol

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

My Build Log

get yourself those two sundowns, get em 2ohms, get yourself a nice little soundqubed 1200, and run that trick @ .5 ohms :)

Telling someone new to the audio game to run at .5 ohms is not a smart move.

To the OP, running at 1 ohm is perfectly fine if your amp is rated for 1 ohm. Just make sure you set the gains correctly. I'd recommend finding someone with a DD-1 or an O-Scope to help you with the gains.

2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7 club cab - Sold 2004 Audi S4 Avant

- Fi and Crescendo - Stock Bose System

- http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147725-2002-dodge-dakota-end-of-the-road/?hl=%202002%20%20dakota

136.4 Sealed @ 29hz

137.0 Drivers window open @ 26hz

Thanks Revo. Could someone tell me the advantages of running at 1 ohm instead of 2? Do people just do it to get more power out of their amp? Still looking for feedback on the sd-2 10 in subs. Thanks y'all for the kind help.

get yourself those two sundowns, get em 2ohms, get yourself a nice little soundqubed 1200, and run that trick @ .5 ohms :)

dont post.... ever again....

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

Thanks Revo. Could someone tell me the advantages of running at 1 ohm instead of 2? Do people just do it to get more power out of their amp? Still looking for feedback on the sd-2 10 in subs. Thanks y'all for the kind help.

the difference being....

1. yes there is more heat, but nothing that will cause fires or explosions behind you or amplifier failure.

2. The advantage of 1 ohm over 2 is simply more power

3. When an amplifier is 1 ohm stable, it is designed to play down to 1 ohm, so you do not need to worry about extra heat and the heat causing failure of the amp

3a. that being said, that doesnt mean the amp cant overheat because of user error....

4. 2 ohms has more efficiency than 1, but due to the power increase, 1 ohm still gives out significantly more power

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/