Sundown Audio

Digital Designs M4 and Z1 protection "issues"

AmmoJammo

Ive also found amps that are strapped are more "sensitive" and protect easier

Ding ding ding, we have a winner!!!

I almost never use strapped amps at 1 ohm , the slave amplifier protect very frequently, i would run them seperate at .5 ohms a piece and gains matched, should stop the problem ;)

But then again, lunchbox knows way more about this than myself, so now i´m doubting my point lol

I´m the SPL Gains topic creator!! wanna get louder?? check this: SPL Gains. Panamenian 2009 & 2010 & 2014 Bass Race 149.9 Champion!

2 15" subs and a 2K wired at 1 ohm, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167788-fecupe2001-2-15s-on-a-2k-video-on-page-3/

8 Massive 15" subs and small power, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179296-fecupe2001s-8-15s-4th-order-bandpass-wall/

Ive also found amps that are strapped are more "sensitive" and protect easier

Ding ding ding, we have a winner!!!

I almost never use strapped amps at 1 ohm , the slave amplifier protect very frequently, i would run them seperate at .5 ohms a piece and gains matched, should stop the problem ;)

But then again, lunchbox knows way more about this than myself, so now i´m doubting my point lol

Everytime ive ran my amps strapped i had this issue Low volume was fine Full tilt would protect, unstrap the amps and issue is gone

1998 gmc extd cab

12 crossfire C710s

4 SAZ-4500s

3 Singer 400A alts
buncha mids/highs

Team Asshole

I really can't risk running them not strapped, because if one amp goes in to protect, chances are I'll have four dead woofers :P

As has been mentioned, its always the slave, not just with the DD amps, but with others I've tried too.

I've had amps where the slave wouldn't even power up?!

But what part of the protection circuit is the issue...

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if I could gain match the two amps, and run one voice coil from each sub, all four in parallel (0.5ohm) and the same for the other voice coil from each sub.

It would mean that if one amp shut down, all four subs would still be on, but at a reduced volume, however, I'm not sure how the back emf might screw things up... :P

Un strap them

Or more power supply

Those are your options

OR get the protection circuit modded.

TEAM SOUNDQUBED -- TEAM SOUTH

TEAM S.O.B. - Founder & Captain

3x Streetbeat World Record Holder

2017 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4 
2016 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem/2nd Adv 4/2nd Xtreme 4
2015 MWSPL 2nd place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4
2014 USACI 2nd place Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db
2014 MWSPL 2nd place Xtreme 4 - 144.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Street Q+ - 162.8 db
2013 MWSPL 3rd Kaos2 & 4th Xtreme 4
2011 USACI 2nd place MOD 1001-2k - 160.0 db
2011 MWSPL 4th place: Adv3 - 157.8 db, Kaos2 - 150s db, Xtreme4 - 140s db
2010 ARSPL 1st place 501-750 - 160.3 db Arkansas loudest

Best score to date 164.4 db - Termlab Outlaw

Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db

Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db

MWSPL on Dash Legal door open (Music) - 162.5 db

Sealed on dash Legal (Music) - 161.1 db - Termlab

THE BLACK NASTY CURRENT BUILD & FAB

The Black Nasty (6) 15 Rebuild Log 2012

(4) 15 Walled Sierra Build Log

Evo X build log

Facebook page The Black Nasty

16163044_large.gif

The very fact that you're running two Z1s in and out of protect over and over blows my mind. They pop faster than popcorn even when well cared for, trust me I've had one. So lets just state the obvious right off the bat, you are a VERY lucky guy that they aren't blown yet. And my next word of advice is sell them. You are running Z1s strapped with clipping at .5 ohm with a stock alt on severely in-adequate electrical. You are probably chasing a multitude of problems that you will probably never be able to fix without fireworks leaping from those amps. Adding a batt causes protection is just silly, there's more likely another underlying problem.

My advice? SELL THE FUCKERS! Yeah, they make some big power but they are the furthest thing from reliable you can get. So get a reliable amp that is known to take abuse. Get yourself a 12k, like DC 12K, AB1100.1 or Cactus K12 (the list is bigger than that). Something that you don't have to strap, will like your stupid low impedances and you know will be able to handle your poor electrical (at least for a while anyway). And don't tell me you can't afford it, how much does it cost to have those Z1s repaired? Oh wait, let me dig through years of emails to check myself. Getting DD amps repaired is insane. Do what you want, there's probably nothing to gain from fixing your protect issue. Seriously.

It's all gone!

The Celica Build

Feedback

If I buy something from you, DO NOT USE FEDEX!

Un strap them

Or more power supply

Those are your options

OR get the protection circuit modded.

Not sure if you even read the thread... more batteries = more protect...

I can't run one amp per two subs, as if one amp goes in to protect, I'd probably kill all four subs...

The very fact that you're running two Z1s in and out of protect over and over blows my mind. They pop faster than popcorn even when well cared for, trust me I've had one. So lets just state the obvious right off the bat, you are a VERY lucky guy that they aren't blown yet. And my next word of advice is sell them. You are running Z1s strapped with clipping at .5 ohm with a stock alt on severely in-adequate electrical. You are probably chasing a multitude of problems that you will probably never be able to fix without fireworks leaping from those amps. Adding a batt causes protection is just silly, there's more likely another underlying problem.

My advice? SELL THE FUCKERS! Yeah, they make some big power but they are the furthest thing from reliable you can get. So get a reliable amp that is known to take abuse. Get yourself a 12k, like DC 12K, AB1100.1 or Cactus K12 (the list is bigger than that). Something that you don't have to strap, will like your stupid low impedances and you know will be able to handle your poor electrical (at least for a while anyway). And don't tell me you can't afford it, how much does it cost to have those Z1s repaired? Oh wait, let me dig through years of emails to check myself. Getting DD amps repaired is insane. Do what you want, there's probably nothing to gain from fixing your protect issue. Seriously.

I've actually never understood how people so often killed their Z1's, they must be doing something very wrong, as I've found them quite reliable, even when abused.

Cost to repair them, well, I bought one of these amps already blown, total cost to repair it was about $20 in parts.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/135563-the-wagon-two-12s-few-thousand-watts/?p=2190881

Sure, if you're not capable of doing it yourself, I can understand why you wouldn't want to run them below rated impedance.

:lol2:

Ur clipping the fuck outta thoes amps..... With voltage drop comes clipping

Clearly u don't care about ur gear

But let's just look at this quote

"Amps both fixed and wired up...

clamped 8000watts from the pair...

got a nice burning smell, and smoke wafting from the port...

*sigh*

not quite as loud as I was hoping for, but it's an improvement "

Can we see clamped numbers and voltage!!!????

And even better

"lets just say, it won't do music flat out for more than about 30 seconds.

D34 Exide Orbital up front (basically the same as an Optima yellow top)

and the D31 XS Power in the rear

stock 120amp alternator?"

Ha. Ha. Ha

Are u still gonna argue u have enough voltage. Get real!

Everyone has tried to help you, it's YOUR decision to take the good advice given a ton of people before on this thread or dont.

but please don't act like you have the electrical to support that and then wonder why your amps protect

SCSB

Santa Cruz Speaker Box

Build logs:

Daily Driver Lemon Marquis

2 american bass 750.1s

350.4 on 14 focal 6.5s

sq 945 on 4 hertz tweeters

Mystery subs peepwall.gif

http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

The Mustang 'dubbed' Shirley the project from bullet holes to badass

http://www.stevemead...cond-skin-time/

Archived