Second Skin Audio

Can you Frankenstein Subwoofers? Will they work?

clittle1272

This is my question??????? With all the possible recone kits out there and all the different style subs i.e. SVC DVC Single mags, double mags, tripple magnets, 2.50", 3" and so on voicecoils can you take to different 12" (or whatever) subs and make one that will work well?

I have 2 JL Audio 12w6's subs 8 ohms SVC they are light in the ass as far as the magnet goes and I have 2 Lightning Audio subs that are 4 ohms and DVC with monster size magnets. Can I use a recone kit to re-do the Lightning Subs if the recone kit is for the JL's?. I believe the voicecoils are the same diameter and all like that. Think about it now.... 8 ohm SVC single mag recone kit being installed on the 4 ohm DVC triple mag setup. If you have done something similar before let me know how it turned out for you. If you have not done something like this before but have an opinion I would like to hear it.

Thanks Peeps and stay tuned to see how it all turns out.

Magnet size can be deceiving. Just cause it's bigger doesn't mean it's stronger. 3 things to look at in a sub. Cone area, xmax, and bl otherwise known as motor strength. With reconing a sub you will need to know or figure out the vc inside and outside diameter,Max throw, length of vc former, diameter of the spiders needed, overall surround diameter.

Right.... I appreciate the insight. So far it is pretty close accept for the Ohms, the Voicecoil and the Magnet size. My JL 12w6's are 8 Ohms, SVC and are hooked to a Bass Inferno 2000 watt amp and they just don't bang the way I thought they wood. I have them in a sealed enclosure truck style box. The amp is a 2 or 4 Ohms, I can't remember which. I just figured the 12w6's would hit harder. The Lightning 12's are 4 Ohms DVC that need new foam. I could just replace the foam not a problem, I just thought it would be fun to see what would happen if I installed the JL style 12w3-D4 recone kit on to the Lightning audio setup.

On many other things u can take apart and create a monster lol but in this case there's alot of things that go into the internals of a sub and if anything is even the slightest off it will effect the outcome so its not as easy as it sounds

I hear yuh. I have tons of experience with many things but I'm a Babe to subs and car audio as a whole. I couldn't find a recone kit for my Lightning Audio subs that I love. Those things went Ham in my box compared to the JL's. I just want em back. I hope this works, if not I'm out 160 on the recone kit. What else can I do. Don't answer that.

If you aren't impressed with your subs, then build them a nice PORTED box. And I say build, not buy.

Instead of hacking them up to make some half ass woofer

under construction

I hate People with crappy primered cars rolling on hubcaps that are louder then me.

u hate c-fizzy?

Archived