Sonic Electronix

They box is built to the dimensions that was in the subs manual book i think its tuned to around 38hz. and i built a 32hz box just to try get the low bass to work but no luck with that. would it have anything to do with the gains or anything? or head unit tuning? Head units lpf is tuned to 80 and hpf 125.

Make sure the HPF isn't applying to the sub ;)

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

i think a general rule of thumb is to set your lpf to about 10 under what your box tuning is. so yours looks set too high

10 under? Eh?

Remember folks - LPF = LOW pass filter = frequencies LOWER than this pass... so if you set your LPF to 10 under the tuning frequency then your sub is almost exclusively going to play frequencies that it... can't?

General rule is set your subsonic at your tuning frequency and set your LPF at approximately the same as the HPF you have for your mids/highs :)

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

the lowest the amp can go is 50hz on the lpf. its set at 80 now is that alright or not? head unit can go 60 80 or 100. i dont think the hpf is applying to the sub either. what other possibilities could be wrong?

I have just noticed that the recomended box design in the book is about 2.35 ft3 but im readin the subs specifications and it says VAS 3.217 ft3. does that mean the box i made is way to small? also is a really big box better than a big box? if i was to make a new box should i make it as big as my car trunk/boot can fit? where should the sub be placed? right now its directly in the middle of the face of the box.

Edited by DefQon

the lowest the amp can go is 50hz on the lpf. its set at 80 now is that alright or not? head unit can go 60 80 or 100. i dont think the hpf is applying to the sub either. what other possibilities could be wrong?

I have just noticed that the recomended box design in the book is about 2.35 ft3 but im readin the subs specifications and it says VAS 3.217 ft3. does that mean the box i made is way to small? also is a really big box better than a big box? if i was to make a new box should i make it as big as my car trunk/boot can fit? where should the sub be placed? right now its directly in the middle of the face of the box.

VAS = Compliance. That's not the size of box you have to make ;)

How is the box ported?

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

the box is sub front port front. Rectangle port to. ive tried facing the sub box towards the front back and facing up all sounds the same. would a video of how the bass craps out be any use? the sub box is made pretty roughly but its still very close to the dimensions from the book. I narrowed the port aswell to make it 38hz

As a general rule of thumb we use in the entertaiment industry is the low pass filter to woofers should be around 100-120hz. That means from 100-120hz and below is sent to the sub feed or aux feeds. Try raising the LPF to 115hz and see how that goes.

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
DiGiCo D1 Live / MIDAS Heratige 1000 / MIDAS Venice
Meyer Sound CQ-1's, CQ-2's, PSW-2's
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
BSS OMNIDRIVE and Soundweb
DBX 231 and Klark Teknik DN360 EQ's
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320

100-120 seems way to high, id set it at 70-80hz so u can have a full range of lows.

but make sure the switch(if there is one) is turned to lpf and not hpf.

First Gen Xterra: Always changing

DNX 690HD

RF 360.3
RF T3002
RF T4004
RF T10001bd
Silver Flute 6.5"s
Tang Band 1" Tweeters
Sundown X18 in 7cubes net tuned to 32hz

Trust me .25 Blows your Load.