Second Skin Audio

Need help recessing a subwoofer in a box

moominer97

I have a box with two 10 inch cut outs already cut. How would I go about recessing the woofers in this box? I know I would cut it out to the outer diameter of the woofer but how do I do this when the hole are already cut? Thank you for your time.

you would just add a beauty panel to the front of the box that wraps around the subs...its your only option really

http://www.stevemead...cherokee-build/

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Alpine CDE-hd148bt

Alpine PKG-RSE2

PRV Audio (4) 6MB200 front/rear doors

PRV Audio (4) TW350Ti dash/rear doors

Kicker KX350.4

Obsidian Audio (1) 18 D4 v2

revamp (2) Stereo Integrity HT 18d2
DC Audio 1.2k
5.25ft^3 tuned @34hz

revamp Infinite Baffle Cpillar

AudioTechnix 60mil deadener
KnuKonceptz & SkyHigh wire (complete setup)

stroupe79.jpg

Depends on what tools you have. If you have a router with a plunge bit, I can walk you through it.... Cut a circle out of scrap that's the same size as the woofer hole. Use a scrap 2X4 or something similar that will go across the entire hole, and mount it to the INSIDE of the box, across the opening. Now, screw the circle you cut out to the 2X4 scrap. When finished, it should look like you're trying to "plug" the hole. Now, when finished with that, if you have a circle cutting jig, figure out the outer diameter of the recess you want to make. Make sure there is a small hole drilled in the EXACT center of the scrap circle. Place your pin or pivot point for the router jig in that pinhole, and, once you've determined the router is placed properly, use a 3/8 straight router bit, and set your plunge to extend approx 1/2 inch below the surface. Fire it up, plunge into the material, follow the jig around the hole, and ... PRESTO!!! You should have a 3/4 inch wide, 1/2 inch deep recess for the sub to drop into. Should provide ample room for a sub with a wide flange, and still have room for a rubber trim ring, and/or carpet. Make sure, if you're going to do this, reinforce the backside of the mounting hole with another circular ring of box material. Preferably another ring of 3/4 wood or thicker.

Beauty panel would not be possible since these are going behind the seats of my crew cab silverado. That beauty panel wouldn't do any good since I'm trying to prevent these from hitting the back of my seats. Sorry for leaving that out.

Thank you carbon, ill have to reread that but I somewhat understand what your saying.

routing out a part of your current baffle to recess the sub, will weaken it, not sure how much but it will...

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Alpine CDE-hd148bt

Alpine PKG-RSE2

Kicker KX350.4

DC Audio 1.2k
5.25ft^3 tuned @34hz

stroupe79.jpg

How thick is the wood on the baffle.....I'm guessing 3/4, cutting some out would weaken it

Doubt his baffle would be more than 2 sheets for 2 10s. I would add a beauty panel and call it a day.

the thing is this...he wants to recess the subs to avoid hitting the back seat...

adding another baffle/beauty panel is not going to move the sub back from the seat at all...and routing part of the 3/4" baffle to recess the sub is not really going to give you much more than 1/4" extra clearance while weakening the baffle...

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Alpine CDE-hd148bt

Alpine PKG-RSE2

Kicker KX350.4

DC Audio 1.2k
5.25ft^3 tuned @34hz

stroupe79.jpg

Archived