Sonic Electronix

Those kickers could be in a bad box, that plays effect into them, clipping is distortion, and that is bad!! A soft clip is fine. To see gains correctly you need a smd dd-1, Oscope or even a bass knob with build in clipping thingy. Depends on amp. Dont listen to that guy that said tune it by ear...that's why your subs are smelling..

Don't know why ppl talk shit. Should be helping:)

ive always just done it by ear and it seemed fine. gonna learn from a guy who knows his stuff here in town how to do some stuff right. he is also gonna hep me build some boxes.

i dont actually hear the clipping sound now though? just the smell

and i think some people just like to talk shit to talk shit lol

Without music, life would be an error

All im saying is if he had absolutley NO access to a dd-1, o scope, or a dmm that could be a last resort option. Never said it was the best in any way. You can use a multimeter and set gains also, theres vids and tutorials all online on how go do it. Its simple but way more complicated than if u had a dd1 or a o scope. I just trying to help! Sorry!

2007 Volvo S40 2.4i (no turbo :( )(Soon XS Power D2400) Stock battery for nowRockford Fosgate 4 gaugeAudioque 6.5" Mid Bass (front)Rockford Fosgate T1 Tweets (front)Rockford Fosgate T2 6.5" Mids (rear)Rockford Fosgats T600-4 (Mids and highs)Rockford Fosgate P3001Fi SSD 12" with PSI recone, building box<p>400 watts, 139.3 @ 42 hz , in the kick window open. Build log!!http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/159148-2007-volvo-s40-audio-build-start-to-current-comment/

I'm still laughing at the recoiling statement made earlier in this thread. Anyway man ditch the kickers put the w7 if it is actually a w7 in a custom ported box and throw some power to that bad boy. And always set your gains with a dmm or a dd1 is even better.

03 Ford f150

2 Sa8 v2s

Ap 1800d...

Stinger 0 Guage

CA Auto/ Electric Big 3

Xs power d680 in parallel with new group 65 stocker

Soon to come another d680

Rockford Punch 6x8 3 ways in the front, Rockford Punch Pro 6.5s in the back

Soon to come Pioneers all around

Focal Solid 4 Speaker Amp

Kenwood KDC-X896

Memphis Line Driver

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/160368-03-f150-king-ranch/

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/LabAudio502?feature=mhee

Those kickers could be in a bad box, that plays effect into them, clipping is distortion, and that is bad!! A soft clip is fine. To see gains correctly you need a smd dd-1, Oscope or even a bass knob with build in clipping thingy. Depends on amp. Dont listen to that guy that said tune it by ear...that's why your subs are smelling..

He said he never touched the gains, so how do you know he set them by ear before?... With a trained ear you can get pretty damn close but like i said,not the best option but a last resort. Ive been somewhat close with all my by-ear tunings. But like i said ive used that in LAST RESORT situations...

2007 Volvo S40 2.4i (no turbo :( )(Soon XS Power D2400) Stock battery for nowRockford Fosgate 4 gaugeAudioque 6.5" Mid Bass (front)Rockford Fosgate T1 Tweets (front)Rockford Fosgate T2 6.5" Mids (rear)Rockford Fosgats T600-4 (Mids and highs)Rockford Fosgate P3001Fi SSD 12" with PSI recone, building box<p>400 watts, 139.3 @ 42 hz , in the kick window open. Build log!!http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/159148-2007-volvo-s40-audio-build-start-to-current-comment/

If you know what your doing. And as he stated before he is new to it...

03 Ford f150

2 Sa8 v2s

Ap 1800d...

Stinger 0 Guage

CA Auto/ Electric Big 3

Xs power d680 in parallel with new group 65 stocker

Soon to come another d680

Rockford Punch 6x8 3 ways in the front, Rockford Punch Pro 6.5s in the back

Soon to come Pioneers all around

Focal Solid 4 Speaker Amp

Kenwood KDC-X896

Memphis Line Driver

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/160368-03-f150-king-ranch/

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/LabAudio502?feature=mhee

I'm still laughing at the recoiling statement made earlier in this thread. Anyway man ditch the kickers put the w7 if it is actually a w7 in a custom ported box and throw some power to that bad boy. And always set your gains with a dmm or a dd1 is even better.

im building a box for both. just want to play with a single powerful 10 vs 2 weaker 10s and see what they meter at. in the end, i will be running the w7 daily. i love that sub =)

He said he never touched the gains, so how do you know he set them by ear before?... With a trained ear you can get pretty damn close but like i said,not the best option but a last resort. Ive been somewhat close with all my by-ear tunings. But like i said ive used that in LAST RESORT situations...

but they were set by ear before lol. dont think the shit talking comment was directed at you either. not sure but it seems you took it that way

Without music, life would be an error

im building a box for both. just want to play with a single powerful 10 vs 2 weaker 10s and see what they meter at. in the end, i will be running the w7 daily. i love that sub =)

but they were set by ear before lol. dont think the shit talking comment was directed at you either. not sure but it seems you took it that way

Its all good bro. I just didnt know if you had set them by ear before. But yeah like me and many others have said, an O-scope is worth the money! Dmm willwork but you will have more steps to go through.

Bc it obviously has nothing to do with the fact that you have no clue on how the hell to set gains or even know what clipping is... Just take them out of the box, turn your gain and bass boost all the way up, and free air them on full tilt. Make sure your head unit is turned all the way up though, or it wont work.. Oh, and post vids when doing so. :squintfinger:

*Rebuid in progress*

LrzV2Vk.jpg

VbjgkeI.jpg

I bet money it's clipping. And... Well... Kicker.

The JL W7s, as much crap as we get them - are still very nice subs. Built well, solid motor, quality soft parts, and good cooling. The kickers? Not so much. A buddy of mine went from 2 comp 12s to a single SA 12 as well as went from 600 watts to 1200 watts. Yet the SA 12 still fared better than the kickers.

My point? You have a nice sub and are comparing it to a budget sub

Archived