engine knocking like crazy. do i have a claim?

I drove it a shop like a block away after doing some research last night. The car was a mess this morning. The throttle stuck realllllly bad idk why but I had to stomp the pedal to get it loose. After which it was fine. The car started and drove out of my parking spot fine. Within the first 500ft it started missfiring. Going up a small hill lots of white smoke pouring out of the back. Very little power. I was able to crawl into the shop afterwards. Temp was fine.. all in all like less than a 5 min trip. Albeit a rough one. Well see what the shop says..

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Factory Unit via 4 chan NVX LOC

Excessive Amperage "H/O" Alt

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

Big 3. 2 Runs of +, 2 Runs of -

DD M3b and 2 12" AQ HDC4s

That bars head gasket looks like a solid option. In several reviews people have the same motor as me with great results so I'd say its at least a 50/50 shot. My question is.. white smoke is from the coolant mixing with the oil..

Doesn't this mean that even if the fix.works I'd have to change the oil and coolant? It says 1 step so I assume some people just pour it in and run that bish.. but I'm not sure.

At least I have a last resort plan now. Thanks for that :)

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

If you do use that stuff I would change the oil, filter, and coolant. Also that

Probably just a temporary fix as well. And may even gunk up the motor.

If you're mechanically inclined building a motor is not hard. Just gotta remember where the bolts go is my hardest part, and you get to save a lot of money on labor

2 polk audio 4x6'skenwood head-unit 220 amp Mechman alt1979 Corvette

2003 corvette z06

alpine radio and the bose system that came stock

If the gasket is actually out, there is a possible cheaper way of getting it fixed... High school vocational schools normally have an auto repair class, so you could possibly call around to some vocational schools around you and see if they would have a class that could fix it for just the part cost on your end. That's how the vo-tec by me does it for some people.

Other positive sides to this method? Your helping high school aged kids train for a future and keep them off the streets :)

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

That's true but time isnt exactly on my side. I mean I'd love to have a go at it myself provided the time but I simply don't have any.

Shop called back. Blown head gasket. Coolant in cylinder 2. Hes gonna replace the head and intake gasket. Obviously coolant and oil parts and.labor..

$1400.. I was really hoping like 1000 max. But now I'm stuck on what to do. Is it worth it or not kinda thing. The radiator is also bad I was waiting till it warms up to fix that..

I told him like I don't quite have that much but he said I could put down half or so and do a couple payments..

I'll call around in a min see if I could get a better quote. Or try to see if I payed in full maybe he could give me a break of some kind..

Thoughts/ opinions appreciate it !

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

He also said there IS NOT any coolant in the oil. Which is a good thing. So I likely didn't break anything else

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

Anyone know about the "upper plenum"? A guy I called at a local shop says its very rare that the gasket goes in these engines, and 90% if the time its the upper plenum dumping coolant into the engine. he said he changed 2 of em last week..

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

3.8s have a massive problem with the lower and or upper intake manifold gasket blowing. because gm decided to use plastic gaskets instead of metal. yours may be bad. head gaskets rarely go on our motors

yea.. itd be nice to be something less than a 1400 dollar repair. but now i dont have a ride anymore now that my gf is at work. so id have to have it towed there... its right around the corner but still.. ima wait to hear from my brother who used to be a mechanic. then prolly send it over there. The guy said the symtoms are exactly like a blown gasket but its not. He said alot of shops are hurting for work and'll tell you that but in his 30 years experience its usually the upper plenum..

lets f'ing hope

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

if its the upper intake gasket, you might as well change the lower one too. you have to remove the whole plenum regardless of which one it is, iirc.

Archived