Sundown Audio

What in Gods name happened to my amp? Lol

Raptorman

It's alright, shit happens. Time for an upgrade.

1996 GMC Sonoma
Four Fi BTL Neo 18's In 2:1 6th Order Bandpass
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

On 10/20/2013 at 0:37 AM, KillaCam said:

Fucking with a Prius driver is like making fun of a disabled kid. Pussies.

I think im just gonna move on. Ill sell it to you real cheap if you want to try something with it.

1996 GMC Sonoma
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

Dont even know man. Pm me.

1996 GMC Sonoma
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

Hmm wow. Glad you figured out what it is.

And a quickie to everyone wondering where it's grounded at and so forth: heat is generated at the point of resistance. A loose ground bolt would cause heat at the bolt. A loose fuse would cause heat at the fuse. Not at the amp. In his case: he had resistance between the wire and the amp caused by a loose connection. If I had found this earlier, that's the first thing I would have suggested to check.

Just a little something to make someone's life easier should they be running into some sort of issue like this and are not sure where to start :)

Thanks Snow.

1996 GMC Sonoma
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

Okay so here's the update. I was driving to work. And I was planning on reaching up and feeling the terminals once I was here to see if they were hot or anything like that. Well I ended up having to pull over about 20 minutes into the drive because I could smell burning plastic. So I'm just like what the fuck, then I look at the terminal, and it's sagged even more and I touched the plastic with the tip of my finger and it was like hot glue, lol..

Then I noticed the wire jacket was melting as well. The entire length of the cable coming from the distro block was scorching and I could just pull the wire out of the terminal. (This was the power wire btw) the wires going to the distro block, battery, etc are all perfectly normal temp and condition.

Edit: I also made sure that NO WIRES were bridging or touching, and none were. Since I could pull the wire out easily, I am thinking that it wasn't tightened enough and wasn't getting enough contact. I don't know. I'll have to take the amp out and cut the plastic away on that side of the terminal so the wire can be fit back in.

Thanks for putting a nail in the coffin for me and car audio. I'm extremely afraid of something happening that my whole car can be engulfed in flames. D: Eek!

Alpine PDX-V9

Morel Tempo 6

Alpine SBR-S8-4

Alpine CDE 149BT

Archived