Sundown Audio

What in Gods name happened to my amp? Lol

Raptorman

Decided to deaden my trunk floor the other day, so I took everything out of my trunk and I find this. Dafuq???? The plastic is melted all in and around the wires and screw set. The screws are stuck in place and same with the wire. The amp has never cut out while playing or produced any weird noise. It still works like when I got it!

IMG_0976_zps2e3544f7.jpg

If I wanted to rewire my amp, how should I go about getting the screws unstuck and the wire out? Probably strip the jacket on the wire close to the terminal and torch the copper, which would melt the plastic from around it? Idfk.

1996 GMC Sonoma
Four Fi BTL Neo 18's In 2:1 6th Order Bandpass
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

On 10/20/2013 at 0:37 AM, KillaCam said:

Fucking with a Prius driver is like making fun of a disabled kid. Pussies.

You sure the ground is solid? Can only think it must have gotten majorly hot somehow. I'd look over EVERYTHING again before using it again.

• pa-pa-platypus

• sorry not everybody has a companies nuts so far down their throat they catch every drop ball sweat when it falls

Well first dis connect the wire from the power source.. afterwards back the set screw out. If its really stuck a decent drill with a straight Allen key and slowly torque it out.. then twist the wire to break it loose and wiggle er out..

The only thing I could think of is like severe oxidation maybe causing heavy resistance at the input which builds up heat effectively nuking your inputs.. that's my stab at it :P

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Factory Unit via 4 chan NVX LOC

Excessive Amperage "H/O" Alt

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

Big 3. 2 Runs of +, 2 Runs of -

DD M3b and 2 12" AQ HDC4s

Yep, ground is solid, no wires were touching or are touching. Ground goes to my back battery, which then grounds to my frame. Then I have a run going from my frame ground point straight to my front battery. Which is grounded good too.

I don't think oxidation would be it, I took the wires out of the amp a month before and everything looked perfect. I haven't noticed any issues. It's been reliable and hasn't ever cut out or anything. Man idek how this shit happened. I'll try and back the screws out, but the plastic is still fused into the wire strands. Haha. May have to dremel that part out or something.

1996 GMC Sonoma
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

Oh wow, I dont really have any idea how that could happen, How hot does your amp usually get?

It's a sundown amp. Hit up Jake I guess..

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

It's a used amp. No warranty on it. And my amp doesn't get hot at all.

1996 GMC Sonoma
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

I mean just to ask not to warranty. He a nice guy he'd answer your question maybe have better insight. His technical knowledge is pretty good and those are his amps so if somebody had a clue it'd prolly be him.

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

You have a resistance issue that is causing heat.

Thats cool. Im way too old to be upset by shit like that. Your name is winston. Your own parents hated you even before you were born.

My penis is bigger than your penis

I'm far from loud and my roof/headliner flaps around like Adam's ass on a windy day. I think it depends more on the structure of the vehicle.

I don't see how I could have resistance issues. I even have direct grounds/runs to my battery up front and back, voltage reads great from all points. Think it was something in the amp that caused it?

1996 GMC Sonoma
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

Archived