Second Skin Audio

box design

gotb00st

So I am having difficulties designing a box for my truck. I recently bought 2 x fi q 12's for my gmc envoy and after second thoughts I decided to go with 15's instead, lol. Now theyll be here Friday, and I've spent the last week trying to figure how im going to fit them. Maybe someone will have some insight.

These will be running off 2kw rms @ 1ohm. Im looking for a sub up port back enclosure if it is at all possible. The amp will mounted on the back of the seat along with a xp3000 under it. This leaves me with limited depth due to port back. My max dimensions are 24h x 45w x 27d. The lower the height the better. For tuning I was thinking around 32ish, I listen to alot of dubstep and hip hop that gets low.

Posting so I'll remember to help you tomorrow.

Edit: Joe already did

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Here is a suggestion:

Enclosure Specifications:

Fb = 32 Hz
Vb = 8 ft^3

External Height = 21 in
External Width = 45 in
External Depth = 25 in

Port Width = 30 in
Port Height = 4 1/4 in

Cut Sheet List:

* All Dimensions in Inches.
* Wood Thickness is 3/4 for all Parts.

External Enclosure Parts:

2 x Top & Bottom (3 parts) = 45 x 25

Left & Right Sides = 23 1/2 x 18 3/4

Front & Back = 45 x 18 3/4

L Port Internal Assembly Parts:

Front to Back = 19 1/4 x 31 1/2
Extension = 5 1/2 x 31 1/2

Port Left Side Assembly:
19 1/4 x 4 1/4
10 1/2 x 4 1/4
Port Right Side Assembly:
19 1/4 x 4 1/4
10 1/2 x 4 1/4

Assembly guide (generic dimensions):

2dcl3supb.jpg

Important notes:

- The port needs 4 1/4" of free airspace in front of it for proper operation.

- Setting your amp subsonic filter to 28Hz is suggested.

I like it Joe, only problem I see is the box volume. FI website states max volume is 4 ft3 per sub. Yours is 4.5 ft3 per sub. Is this ok? Also I am curious what the port area is?

If you are running little power you can give some extra volume but if you want to stay within recommendation now is changed to 4 cubes per sub. Port area is 127 square inches.

I like it Joe, only problem I see is the box volume. FI website states max volume is 4 ft3 per sub. Yours is 4.5 ft3 per sub. Is this ok? Also I am curious what the port area is?

If you are running little power you can give some extra volume but if you want to stay within recommendation now is changed to 4 cubes per sub. Port area is 127 square inches.

Yes im only running 2k watts atm. Would it be ok to run 45's for bracing and better flow or stay with what you got drawn? Also is that a 2'' dowel and a port brace? Also I see in the new dimensions you changed the width to 48.5, my maximum width available is 45. Thanks.

Ok changed to 45W, 45s are not really necessary but you can do some small ones if you want, the port inside brace in the middle is very important as that port panel will flex (sometimes bad) if the bracing is not done, the other thing is that the top to bottom brace needs to be exactly above the port brace so that is properly supported, you can use the 2" wooden dowel rod if you want.

Archived