2/0 + gauge wire ?

I'm just asking cuz when I get around to doing my upgrade I'm considering rather than running 2 or 3 1/0 wires all over my car seeing about just running a bunch of the really big stuff lol

See if you can go to a store and play around with the bigger wire - it's huge and for most cars: pretty a pretty unruly PITA to get it to flex and fit where you need it. To replace 3 runs of 0 gauge, you'd need 350 or 400 mcm cable.

MCM? is that a next step bigger above AGM?

Thanks I was pretty excited about the alt myself. kind of like a school girl, in a dress, on a swing. lol

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

My Build Log

Really any welding supply store (online) should have it

Biggest I'd go is 3/0 though. 4/0 is much more expensive for not all that much more copper. At least in the price lists I've seen

ok thank you. is the rating for the bigger stuff like how it sounds? (2/0 gauge is roughly 2 1/0... etc) ? or am I probably better off just staying with running a bunch of 1/0 unless I just need really need more but not enough for a full 'nother 1/0?

No not at all

Look at the table here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge#Tables_of_AWG_wire_sizes

You will see the column "area" which is the cross sectional area of the wire. 2 runs of 0 gauge is 53.5*2=107sqmm. Which is the surface area of 4/0, or 0000 gauge

So you'd really need 4/0 to replace (2) runs of 0

technically speaking though copper is copper. :)

Except you have different kinds of copper, hard or soft copper as a example.

Multiple runs should be easier to do then a huge wire.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

I'm just asking cuz when I get around to doing my upgrade I'm considering rather than running 2 or 3 1/0 wires all over my car seeing about just running a bunch of the really big stuff lol

See if you can go to a store and play around with the bigger wire - it's huge and for most cars: pretty a pretty unruly PITA to get it to flex and fit where you need it. To replace 3 runs of 0 gauge, you'd need 350 or 400 mcm cable.

No idea what AGM is. that's a battery lol

It's a different measurement system than AWG, since that chart only goes up to 4/0

It skips the whole idea of "gauge" and goes right to the cross sectional area of the wire

Really any welding supply store (online) should have it

Biggest I'd go is 3/0 though. 4/0 is much more expensive for not all that much more copper. At least in the price lists I've seen

ok thank you. is the rating for the bigger stuff like how it sounds? (2/0 gauge is roughly 2 1/0... etc) ? or am I probably better off just staying with running a bunch of 1/0 unless I just need really need more but not enough for a full 'nother 1/0?

No not at all

Look at the table here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge#Tables_of_AWG_wire_sizes

You will see the column "area" which is the cross sectional area of the wire. 2 runs of 0 gauge is 53.5*2=107sqmm. Which is the surface area of 4/0, or 0000 gauge

So you'd really need 4/0 to replace (2) runs of 0

oh wow... so more than likely trying to go bigger than 1/0 in a car is probably more hassle than it's worth and might as well just keep the 1/0 spagetti

Thanks I was pretty excited about the alt myself. kind of like a school girl, in a dress, on a swing. lol

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

My Build Log

No idea what AGM is. that's a battery lol

It's a different measurement system than AWG, since that chart only goes up to 4/0

It skips the whole idea of "gauge" and goes right to the cross sectional area of the wire

lol AWG that's what I meant :P (you would think being in the military acronyms would come easier for me but actually all it did was cram my head with so many acronyms that now I just get them all mixed up lmao)

My Build Log

Correct ^

This is why 90% of us just do multiple runs, think about trying to connect a 3/0 to anything besides a bus bar lol

And while I'm on a roll here: keep in mind that lots of car audio wire is oversized. For example, KnuKonceptz Kolossus Fleks is made up of 5145 strands of 36 gauge. Which gives it a cross sectional area of 65.3sqmm - making it roughly equivalent to 2/0.

And while I'm on a roll here: keep in mind that lots of car audio wire is oversized. For example, KnuKonceptz Kolossus Fleks is made up of 5145 strands of 36 gauge. Which gives it a cross sectional area of 65.3sqmm - making it roughly equivalent to 2/0.

ah ok sounds good. also as I've been looking I've noticed that the charts that say the amp capacity for a particular wire most of them don't match... and all of them put 1/0 gauge at under 250 and most put it under 150 but I've been told that a single run of 1/0 was fine on up to I think they said 300 something... anyone have a chart that accurately says the amp capacity of different gauges?

My Build Log

Archived