Sundown Audio

Gain setting. My story

CLNSHVNnDRAGGN

Seeing so many people suggesting setting gains by ear lately if they don't have the correct tools prompted me to share my story. I've been playing with car audio for about 17 years now and until yesterday have ALWAYS set my gain by ear. I was lucky and never had any issues but after the discovery I made yesterday I don't think I will ever do it again. I just finished getting everything installed in my car again after doing my motor rebuild and, as usual, went ahead and set everything up by ear and it sounded great. After taking a break to jump on SMD for bit I started thinking about clamping my sub amp to see what I was actually getting out of it. Having never done it before I hit up YouTube. After watching the first video I clicked on one for setting gains with DMM, took a few notes, did a few calculations, and decided to give it a shot and see how far off I was (and secretly hoping to get a little louder!). I started with my 4 ch which gave me great results. I initially had the gain for the front channels about half way and the rear just shy of that. When I started taking readings I was at 7v for the front channels and 6.6 for the rear. According to the calculations I should have been at 16.1 for the front and 14.8 for the rear. I made the adjustments and kept them just a little lower to be safe (until I get a DD1 in the next month or so) and they sound WAY better. I couldn't believe it. Unfortunatly that joy was short lived. After finishing getting the 4ch set I moved to my sub amp. I have been running this same deck/line driver/sub/amp combo for quite a few years now and usually set the amp gain about half and was happy with it. This time around it ended up only being about 1/3 of the way up to where it sounded good. By my calculations I should have been at 33.3v but when I checked it I was at 55v!!! I'm glad I didn't blow my subs. I readjusted and set it at exactly 33.3v which is nowhere near as loud but does sound way cleaner.

Moral of the story: just because you've gotten away with doing something one way doesn't mean you shouldn't at least check it against a correct way.

www.facebook.com/BILLatDivineCreationsPhoto

He was taunting me. He's all like "come at me bro!" So I'm like "I'm coming at you bro!" And he's like "hey, fuck you" *chomp*. Then I killed it. I win.

^^^ you have truly taken being a lazy fuck to a new level tonight, an MRE. WOW

Just got a DD1 CC1 combo..im stoked. I have always run everything by going by ear until theres audible distortion..then going way down..like 1/4 turn or more...I've blown my fair share of shit but whatever I didn't care then lol.

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

I was planning on ordering a DD1 and CC1 combo this week but ended up getting a deal on a motor/tranny combo for my truck that I couldn't pass up so they will have a to wait a little longer. I will have them before anything gets powered up in my truck build though.

He was taunting me. He's all like "come at me bro!" So I'm like "I'm coming at you bro!" And he's like "hey, fuck you" *chomp*. Then I killed it. I win.

Thats good man. You know..if you are trying to justify cost on them..you can throw up a craigslist ad and do a few people systems for 20-30$..make your money back and then you didn't lose anything.

There are alot of people who don't want to spend that money but will spend the 20-30$ easy. Some guy is already waiting for me to get my stuff...and because of that I'm building him a new enclosure and installing new components too. Just got myself enought money for some more wire and MDF for my build.

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

Don't have to justify the cost. Just have to get the funds (without the wife finding out). I just rebuilt the motor in my car, been buying audio and a sbc/tranny for my truck, and then bought this other sbc/tranny for my truck Saturday. If I can sell some stuff off I'll be ordering the DD-1/CC-1 right away otherwise it will have to wait.

I hear you, been doing the ear thing for a few years myself, Bought a DD-1 4 months ago and it makes everything so easy to tune its not funny. Good idea about Craigslist, i think i might put a add in locally to help other people and make a buck or 2. lol

Archived