Second Skin Audio

Help With Used DD Audio 12" Sub

NIHL8ION

OK so I bought a used DD 12" sub from a pawn shop (I know, I know... smh) I've never owned anything DD before so please excuse my ignorance if this is a dumb question for you experienced DD gurus out there... (I'm a newb here) All I know is that this sub is 12", has dual 4 ohm voice coils (Checked with a fluke meter), solid 10 ga. leads, the DD cheaper looking style basket (500, 1000, 1500, 2500 series), The bottom of the magnet is silver with a single vent hole in the center, and all there is, is a "made in the USA" sticker on it. There are no other identifiers on this sub and I do not know which series it is... I was leaning towards the bottom of the barrel (500 series) but When I ran roughly 150w RMS @ 2 ohm from my smallest amp (Orion Cobalt CO3002 - Yes, I DO realize this is NOT recommended as the manual states it's only good for 4 ohm bridged, however I've owned this amp for over a year and I've ran it @ 1 ohm into my 12" pioneer 2 ohm dvc for weeks on end at full tilt and it has yet to clip or cut out on me yet...) and this amp barely moved the sub at all turned all the way up. Next I hooked it up to my Orion HCCA 1200D Mono Block running 400 watts into it @ 2 ohm, and this gets her going, but it still seems like it has more room to go, so now my 500 series initial thought has me wondering... Not really a big deal I suppose, but it would be nice to know what the heck I have here. Also - This same sub is currently in the wrong box (too small) and I think it sounds like ass : 1.65 cu ft. Labyrinth Slot Ported Obcon Pre-Fab... It's all that I have that's ported for right now so I just threw it in there, but It really sounds horrible to me. I had a cheapo - pioneer champion series (not the champ-pro either) 2 ohm dvc 400w rms sub wired up @ 1 ohm getting fed 600 from my HCCA 1200D & it sounded wayyyyyy better :-( I do realize that this is the wrong box and all, but this is far from DD's flagship subwoofer, and on their site it says min ported enclosure can be as small as 1.75 cu ft. for a single 12, so I was just hoping to get at least a taste of what I could expect out of it... The sub seems to be stiff, and there is no visible damage anywhere on it at all, but it sounds almost to a point - distorted and like almost "High pitched" at all levels no matter what the settings on any amps I have, so could I have gotten a blown sub? Any help or input on what series sub I have, and the crappy sound output I'm getting from it will be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance

post a pic

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

ok, will do... I will have to wait until later on as I will need to remove it from the box in my trunk and it's freezing outside right now :-( I'll get out there and pull it out as soon as I can & post pics...

th_20130321_171250_zpsb6c1936a.jpgth_20130321_171612_zps41017006.jpgth_20130321_171631_zps57e0210e.jpgth_20130321_171621_zpsdc554d74.jpg

Here are some pics of the sub... Judging by how small that magnet is, I'm still leaning towards this being a 500 series sub, I'm just surprised that 150 watts wont do much at all for it if it is in fact a 500 series sub because I've been told it does not take much power to get those to perform... Also - Just to elaborate a bit on the sound output issue I have: From inside of the vehicle (1996 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan) It sounds OK, But when the trunk is open and I stand back there near the sub with it going, it just kind of almost sounds "Dirty" to me... IDK, like I said before, I've never owned any DD products, but I've heard good things about them so when I found this sub for next to nothing I jumped at the chance. It's just the fact that My cheapo Pioneer premier 2 ohm dvc 12" sub (400w rms) sounds better on either amp (Orion CO3002 / Orion HCCA D-1200), or either this box; Ported, (1.65 cu ft. Labrynth slot ported tuned to 40hz) or my small 1 cu ft. sealed box as well, and I would not think that that should be the case...

Archived