big prob with my box

Hi guys I need help with my box I have an Fi btl N2 18'' power by a sundown Saz 4500 electrical is upgraded. my goal is to hit a 150 db and recently I did a 149.5 db the box was tuned to 33,port area is 96 in, 16 inches of port per foot, and is about 6.25 cubs after port and sub displacement. right before I hit that score over excursion took over and broke the sub so now I need help designing a new one. people have tolled me I need more back pressure and less port area 4 cubs and 70 to 80 in port area what do you guys think ? Also my car is a mini SUV sub is facing up and port is firing back.

if he is serious then a box cannot break a sub, a sub can break a box tho, my bet is clipping, ALOT

A box built to the wrong specs, or not build for the actual power being put to the woofer(s) can cause damage to the woofers..

You put 5000 watts on a woofer that would take it fine is not an issue, but if the box is built for hallf that power, your woofer will unload, you coil could jump the gap, you could bottom it out, you can break the triple joint, you can tear your spiders.

So please tell me how the box cannot break a sub?

He started 4 threads about this .. :ban2:

and I locked 3 of them...... and moved this one to the CORRECT section since it has the only replies...

As for this thread, every vehicle and setup is different, no one can give you your exact dimensions, on port, box size etc.. can give you ruff estimates but thats about it.

If you want to be serious about your number, then start building a bunch of boxes, each one a little bit different in size, with different sized ports, different length ports, smaller loading chamber, etc.

If your unloading your sub your box, or port volume is too large. Id say box volume since many burp setups have well over the 12-16sq inches of port per cubic foot and have no issues.

But then again if you cant hear the mechanical noise and different in sound from unloading your woofer I guess thats your own bad IE user error.

Archived