Second Skin Audio

2 SWR-12D4 Woofer Box

fifteenjr

Took my try at Torres, didn't come out too great, but then again I was aiming for ported which would be that much more difficult.

Little background info, I have 2 alpine swr-12d4's and a Hifonics BRZ1200.1D. My old ported box housed 2 Infinity woofers, definitely smaller.

I have no clue what the enclosure's rated at. But after bassin for a while, these woofers get really warm and there's a bit of port noise. So I take it the box/port is too small.

My friend tells me to go sealed, since it's in a trunk car and my car's always in the sun and I'm always driving it. I wanted to see if anyone had much experience with these. It's in a 2001 Mitsubishi Diamante. My max dimensions are the front/back of the box 31" and the height 13". the depth well, as much as it needs to be. I can use the whole trunk if need be. But he also tells me if it's sealed, it'll be smaller anyway.

Thanks for any help.

Here is a suggestion:

Enclosure Specifications:

Fb = 34 Hz
Vb = 3 ft^3

External Height = 13 in
External Width = 31 in
External Depth = 22 in

Port Width = 3 1/2 in

Cut Sheet List:

* All Dimensions in Inches.
* Wood Thickness is 3/4 for all Parts.

External Enclosure Parts:

2x Front = 13 3/4 x 11 1/2
2x Front Internal = 12 1/4 x 11 1/2
Back = 31 x 11 1/2

Left & Right Sides: 20 1/2 x 11 1/2

Top & Bottom = 31 x 22

Shared Port Internal Assembly Parts:

2 x Front to Back = 18 3/4 x 11 1/2
2 x Extension = 1 1/8 x 11 1/2

Assembly guide (generic dimensions):

TSFPF-1.jpg

Important notes:

- The 45s if you want to do them are 2 1/2" wide except the one/ones inside the port, if you want that let me know.

- All trunk boxes built outside the car need to fit in their way in not just have the right dimensions.

- The port needs 3 1/2" of free airspace in front of it for proper operation.

- Setting your amp subsonic filter to 28Hz is suggested.

Thank you! Only question, the extension is the part of the port that goes behind the woofer so-to-speak right?

I know it say's generic dimensions. I just want to double check that it's actually 1 inch never have seen one that small before. Just to be safe.

I had these woofers for some time before I upgraded to DD, and found that they like a little bit bigger box if you have the space for it. The recommended one above is 1.5 ft3 per woofer. I enjoyed mine at 2.25 per woofer. Just a thought.

How do you want things to sound? What music do you listen to?

also....what did your friend mean by this? lol

"My friend tells me to go sealed, since it's in a trunk car and my car's always in the sun and I'm always driving it."

Team NorthWestSPL

@Jamie: thanks for the info! I'm actually working on sketchup for the box that he recommended but I have time I may tweak around with designs, just not good with Torres.

@mrd: I'd say my iPod is about 60% hiphop/rap 35% electronic, 5% rock. I really just want to feel the lows for the most part. I can live without the quick doublebass or whatever its called in some rock songs.

My friend say's sealed because it would hit lower and (the fact that its in the trunk? - didn't go into explanation for that), plus being in the hot trunk he says a sealed box will keep the woofers lots cooler since it's not sucking in hot trunk air. And that fact that they can handle more power. Sorry if I didn't explain it too well.

I had these woofers for some time before I upgraded to DD, and found that they like a little bit bigger box if you have the space for it. The recommended one above is 1.5 ft3 per woofer. I enjoyed mine at 2.25 per woofer. Just a thought.

Just bear in mind that these are the fifth generation type Rs, earlier versions would work great in 2 cubic feet at rated. These new ones are actually recommended for 1.2 cubic feet per sub.

Thank you! Only question, the extension is the part of the port that goes behind the woofer so-to-speak right?

I know it say's generic dimensions. I just want to double check that it's actually 1 inch never have seen one that small before. Just to be safe.

Correct, the lateral ducts are only 1" for a 34Hz tune.

And just to let you know most people who comment on type R's these days suggest specs for the earlier versions like the SWR-1243 these are the newer 1000W version and have different airspace requirements.

@Jamie: thanks for the info! I'm actually working on sketchup for the box that he recommended but I have time I may tweak around with designs, just not good with Torres.

@mrd: I'd say my iPod is about 60% hiphop/rap 35% electronic, 5% rock. I really just want to feel the lows for the most part. I can live without the quick doublebass or whatever its called in some rock songs.

My friend say's sealed because it would hit lower and (the fact that its in the trunk? - didn't go into explanation for that), plus being in the hot trunk he says a sealed box will keep the woofers lots cooler since it's not sucking in hot trunk air. And that fact that they can handle more power. Sorry if I didn't explain it too well.

never listen to anything this friend tells you...he is clueless

http://www.stevemead...cherokee-build/

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Alpine CDE-hd148bt

Alpine PKG-RSE2

PRV Audio (4) 6MB200 front/rear doors

PRV Audio (4) TW350Ti dash/rear doors

Kicker KX350.4

Obsidian Audio (1) 18 D4 v2

revamp (2) Stereo Integrity HT 18d2
DC Audio 1.2k
5.25ft^3 tuned @34hz

revamp Infinite Baffle Cpillar

AudioTechnix 60mil deadener
KnuKonceptz & SkyHigh wire (complete setup)

stroupe79.jpg

Archived