Dirt bike stripped case bolts.. tap,heilcoil?

2001 Rm125.

Bolt that holds the trans cover to the case some how stripped (old owner JB welded everything)
Its an 8mm long bolt with threads only on the end section of it.
Tried to seal the case up without it and of course it didnt work and fluid drips out slowly until its a huge puddle.

I am wondering what would be the easiest solution to fix this? Tap to 9mm, 10mm possibly?
The case is aluminum so it wouldnt be hard to retap it

I thought about a helicoil, but then realized I need a bunch of more tools to properly insert a helicoil.

Any ideas would be great!

I had the same exact bike. are you talking about clutch side? If radio it andgo a hair bigger, maybe a standard not that's just a hair bigger. Get that piece of shit stripped bolt out first and then tap away. My RM125 was clapped out to hell and I brought it back to life. Replaced nearly everything on the bike and had about $3500 in it.

only picture I have was from the winter and she wasn't even on her nice matching frame stand, just the axle stand.

0f53a0e7.jpg

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Nice bike!
I kinda want to stick to metric just because Im a perfectionist with everything being the same ha.
Its just a blind hole so I'n not really sure how to go about drilling it without going too far.

But yea the clutch side, after filing the basket (ghetto style ftw)
It wouldnt even thread back in. I love surprises from previous owners. The bolt itself is fine but the thread are done-zo.

I have the same problem though haha they are money pits, I recently added lights for the street and would prefer to not get stranded somewhere and be embarrased lol.

looked nice until the graphics started to fall off from gas spillage lol

So the bolt won't bite, correct? if I were you, tap it, use the same size bolt head. You may have to get it from a specialty store, but I'm sure you can find it. I love that the whole bike is 8, 10, and 12MM BOLTS

I would NOT recommend "heli-coil" for any thread repairs in aluminum castings... Look into "Time-Sert" or any type of a SOLID insert to repair stripped out threads in aluminum, just my input from experiences with thread repairs over the years... ;-)

On a side note, how does yours run? Mine had a hard hit when overrev came in. I realize that a 2 stroke has that powerband hit, but for just a 125 it was fun to lift that wheel 3rd gear pinned. I always considered the 144 kit for it, very tempting...

heck yea! I love how they are only a couple of sizes makes life easy in some aspect haha.

But I have never actually tapped anything before, and it seems easy enough but guess Im wrong then.

And I was thinking about a time-sert, but again the price of all the tools needed to install them. Not to mention how wouold that would in a long blind hole?

what the heck is a keensert? How do you install those?

a 144 kit would be nice, but I figure time to go to a 250 if I ever considered that ha.
And my 01 had a powervalve linkage problem. So it kicked in good after that was resolved.. always something

Archived