Question about routers/routing (Computers)

I have a Linksys WRT400N currently. I recently moved out of my room in my parents house and into my sisters because it is much bigger and she moved out. Only problem is her room is on the opposite end of the house from the router. The WRT400N didn't have external antennas so I bought a external antenna kit (9dBi) which apparently only helps the 5 Ghz signal. I installed it with no noticeable signal gain.

Now that you know my life story behind my router issues, my question is this... Can you run a router into a router? I am trying to find a easier alternative to getting better signal rather than relocating all the wires and cables for the modem. I know they make signal repeaters but haven't really heard anything good about them. I was thinking just to run a long Ethernet cable through the basement (from the current router) to a router placed basically underneath my room. Is that possible or can you not run a router off of another router?

I have a Linksys WRT400N currently. I recently moved out of my room in my parents house and into my sisters because it is much bigger and she moved out. Only problem is her room is on the opposite end of the house from the router. The WRT400N didn't have external antennas so I bought a external antenna kit (9dBi) which apparently only helps the 5 Ghz signal. I installed it with no noticeable signal gain.

Now that you know my life story behind my router issues, my question is this... Can you run a router into a router? I am trying to find a easier alternative to getting better signal rather than relocating all the wires and cables for the modem. I know they make signal repeaters but haven't really heard anything good about them. I was thinking just to run a long Ethernet cable through the basement (from the current router) to a router placed basically underneath my room. Is that possible or can you not run a router off of another router?

what internet company do you have? And im not exactly up to specs on that router but have you looked at maybe replacing it with something that will go farther?

Yeah, you can run a router, off another router.

Modem - Router - Router.

I live on the other side of our house, And i have one in our living room where our modem is, And then a ethernet cable running to my room, into another router, putting out another wifi signal.

*06 330i - Sundern x12 - saz-3500*

*91 Foxbody V1 S-Trim Notch*

The second router would just act as an access point, taking the existing network from the 1st router and broadcasting it as a WiFi network. That's exactly what you want. It's fairly easy to set up.

Quick walkthrough of the steps: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/11233

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

• 3 weeks later...

I have been using these at work and at home.

http://www.ubnt.com/unifi#ap

LOVE them. POE injector so all you run is the network cable to it.

These will work in an Enterprise setup and for someone like you that needs more range in the house.

Great thing is. The Software controls more than one of these at a time!

Archived