Here we go, for real...my new live sound/DJ rig (Updated 4/29)

I won't have that luxury every time, but my speakers only weigh around 90lbs or so max, that's the KW181's. Cases are all on wheels, thank god. Minor update, we purchased a trailer (FINALLY)

Night time shots, yes I'm a volunteer firefighter, hence the lights.

Only thing I have to do is put some interior lights in it, and it's good to go. Just haven't decided what I want to do, hard wire or battery powered.

thats a good looking trailer, when you say hard wired, are you meaning ac? or like wired to the car?

Wired to the marker lights, so the lights can come on when the trailer is hooked up. Going to be hard to load in and load out in the dark.

You could also build yourself a mobile lighting system, use a couple of 12V motorbike headlamps and a battery pack, or some high powered 12V LEDs so that you can take the floodlight out of the trailer and light up the back of a rack or whatever you need to illuminate. Torches will only get one so far.

In transport and for lighting the trailer, have that live on a high shelf anchored with a couple of nylon straps and rucksack clips.

I'd run it off a 15Ah moped battery and have a spare one on charge in the vehicle.

I can imagine that the problem with running the lighting off the car's electrics would be that if somebody happened to leave the lights on, it'd flatten your battery and render you unable to start the vehicle. Much better to have redundant/discrete systems.

I won't have that luxury every time, but my speakers only weigh around 90lbs or so max, that's the KW181's. Cases are all on wheels, thank god. Minor update, we purchased a trailer (FINALLY)

Night time shots, yes I'm a volunteer firefighter, hence the lights.

Only thing I have to do is put some interior lights in it, and it's good to go. Just haven't decided what I want to do, hard wire or battery powered.

thats a good looking trailer, when you say hard wired, are you meaning ac? or like wired to the car?

Wired to the marker lights, so the lights can come on when the trailer is hooked up. Going to be hard to load in and load out in the dark.

You could also build yourself a mobile lighting system, use a couple of 12V motorbike headlamps and a battery pack, or some high powered 12V LEDs so that you can take the floodlight out of the trailer and light up the back of a rack or whatever you need to illuminate. Torches will only get one so far.

In transport and for lighting the trailer, have that live on a high shelf anchored with a couple of nylon straps and rucksack clips.

I'd run it off a 15Ah moped battery and have a spare one on charge in the vehicle.

I can imagine that the problem with running the lighting off the car's electrics would be that if somebody happened to leave the lights on, it'd flatten your battery and render you unable to start the vehicle. Much better to have redundant/discrete systems.

No offense, I thought you were posting a spam post, lol. There is a small battery pack but it's for a breakaway cable that engages the brakes. I think I will add a small battery though, just when I get the money. (A small AC unit would be awesome too lol)

Anyways, here are pictures from my last few shows. One was a big one, for West Virginia's 150th Birthday celebration...was one long day, that's for sure. I started set up at around noon to make sure everything worked and was ready to go. We had to be sound checked and ready by 6PM, as (to my surprise, as it wasn't mentioned) there was a ceremony for the 150th Birthday, as well as a dedication to a 105-year old woman...could have given me a heads-up guys...anyways, the show went off without a hitch luckily, until the very end when a GFI tripped for some odd reason... Some photos are from my iPhone, and the others are from my buddy, who is a freelance photographer, does some sick work, and is going to be at the festival I do in July.

993048_10152969529430512_10146302_n.jpg

1001319_10152970523485512_860678577_n.jp

View from the stage before the second set

1044574_10152973138275512_1475826551_n.j

1048973_498284110241236_1832396768_o.jpg

1039563_498284190241228_1564929876_o.jpg

1008257_498284196907894_1247063677_o.jpg

The new Fab5's worked great, just didn't really position them like I had hoped. If I had enough truss, they would have been out front and a bit better aimed. Oh well, better luck next time.

Random shots from some smaller shows

1010925_10152949340400512_2074777988_n.j

944101_10152929370200512_1233611166_n.jp

425197_10152928950750512_264335914_n.jpg

Now this show here was a big one for me...the show itself was a small cruise-in show, but the guy in charge, is also in charge of the county fair, and is also planning a big show with an Eagles tribute band this fall, and is expected to pull a hell of a crowd. He wants me to be in charge of it, as his budget is tight, but I know I shouldn't have a problem. Talked to the band about their rider, they're real easy going luckily, and just want to have a good time. May see about renting additional FOH PA, but not much other than that. Just depends on where the money lies.

1049062_498283870241260_1484395766_o.jpg

POTATO!

Holy bass amp batman!!

Hah talking about bass though. I see you rotated your subs so the ports are on the top? Did you notice much of a sound difference?

It's looking good though mate!

PSN: Rcp_soundz

Good rule of thump is go by what fuse size is being used in these amps. The higher the more amperage it pulls, this is what I look at.

I'll stick a 300 amp fuse in a potato and sell it to you for $2k.

1991 Mazda 323VERY small build thread here: http://www.stevemead...23-small-build/

Hah talking about bass though. I see you rotated your subs so the ports are on the top? Did you notice much of a sound difference?

From a physics perspective, coupling stuff to boundaries can produce anything up to a 6dB boost, so one would expect to find that the closer the port outlets are to the ground the better the cabs would work at the lower ported frequencies, although a few feet here or there is unlikely to make a huge difference. Would be interested to see some measurements of sweep tones A/B. There could also be a slight change to the tuning of the cabinet due to the alteration of acoustic impedance at the port outlet pushing into 1/2 (or 1/4) space.

From a physics perspective, coupling stuff to boundaries can produce anything up to a 6dB boost, so one would expect to find that the closer the port outlets are to the ground the better the cabs would work at the lower ported frequencies, although a few feet here or there is unlikely to make a huge difference. Would be interested to see some measurements of sweep tones A/B. There could also be a slight change to the tuning of the cabinet due to the alteration of acoustic impedance at the port outlet pushing into 1/2 (or 1/4) space.

indeed, in a situation like this the cosmetics of how qsc put them on the side slightly bothers me, i just like shit the same. Same with the Cobra's how you cant swap the sides of the high drivers. One venue i work in i hire some cobras for as they work well in the room. but being able to rotate them would make me slightly happier about not sending all the highs straight down the wall kinda thing.

ill try finda pic of said venue.

i was mainly asking if mike re orientated them for a reason or just cosmetics.

Good rule of thump is go by what fuse size is being used in these amps. The higher the more amperage it pulls, this is what I look at.

1991 Mazda 323VERY small build thread here: http://www.stevemead...23-small-build/

• 2 weeks later...

Well these next couple of weeks are going to be interesting for me...

Tomorrow (7/4): Same band as the Pullman Square show above, but at a local park, two sets at 4 and 8...dumbest thing but hey, it's $$
Friday (7/5): Band I've worked with before, same ones that host the festival I'm doing next Saturday, at a concert series about an hour away..

Next Thursday (7/11): This is going to be interesting...have to set up two systems, one for a classic rock band at a bike night show, and the other for two DJ's at a small venue, using all my speakers and one of my friend's boards, splitting the lights up and such.
Next Friday/Saturday: This is the big festival I've been waiting for. It's a family-run festival, free admission, and 14 bands on two stages, nonstop. My PA will be on the main stage, with the owner's PA on the second stage (where I was last year), luckily this year the second stage has been upgraded quite a bit. They're expecting between 500 and 1000, if not more, throughout the entire day.

Clip from last year's show...

Also, I've had some talks this week, and have some major events coming up. One being the Mothman Festival (east coast stateside folks may have heard of it), and the other being the tribute band I had talked about, it's in the works but things are looking good so far. Plus I have several other ones in limbo/discussion, just waiting to hear back. Which means I'll have an excuse to buy my other 4 subs, new KW monitors, and a new 32 channel board. I'm set on the new Presonus 32.4.2AI as of right now...I had been looking at two others: the X32, which of course is out of the question being a B-word unit, and I just don't like the interface much personally, and the other being the Soundcraft Si Compact 32...my buddy has one (will describe in a minute), but the only thing that limited me from it was no recording interface, but it may be a step up later down the road mainly for a quality-control thing (since Soundcraft is a good name)

I have done one show this past week, which was more or less volunteer (same friend of mine, who is the sound guy for a larger sound company) who did a free music festival in the next town over, featuring a few national acts and several local acts, two day event. Was an interesting day, scattered storms all day, which cut the first band out (local cover band that I've worked with before) but the second and third bands went on. Huge storm was in the area during the last act (Chris Jansen) and we tried getting him off stage, but of course his manager said no...storm missed us though, by a good way. Was a fun show though. It was odd to see my buddy with his Si Compact 32, and not his usual 32-56 channel board with an entire rack of processors...

1053460_10153016900515512_1316556782_o.j

POTATO!

is that a frog your working on there?

also yay for more subs! also disaspointed you dont like the x32 it is a good console but i cant blame you. regarding the si, no recording is a big let down but it does sound really nice. maybe after the presonus, look into getting a large format analouge? could be something to think about if you end up having a touring engineer or something come along? we have the behringer a presonus, a 32 chan A&H analouge and a 56 chan A&H analouge and a couple of under 24 chan desks just cause

His manager said no? Lol. I don't give a damn who's on stage, if it's my stage with my gear I have the final say when it comes to weather/safety. It's in our contract and I've had to pull that card on several occasions.

First Gen Xterra: Always changing

DNX 690HD

RF 360.3
RF T3002
RF T4004
RF T10001bd
Silver Flute 6.5"s
Tang Band 1" Tweeters
Sundown X18 in 7cubes net tuned to 32hz

Trust me .25 Blows your Load.

is that a frog your working on there?

also yay for more subs! also disaspointed you dont like the x32 it is a good console but i cant blame you. regarding the si, no recording is a big let down but it does sound really nice. maybe after the presonus, look into getting a large format analouge? could be something to think about if you end up having a touring engineer or something come along? we have the behringer a presonus, a 32 chan A&H analouge and a 56 chan A&H analouge and a couple of under 24 chan desks just cause

One day I will, but right now I like my Presonus. I plan to have a 32.4.2AI, a 16.4.2 or 16.0.2, a Si Compact 32, and an analog board of some sort, rider friendly.

His manager said no? Lol. I don't give a damn who's on stage, if it's my stage with my gear I have the final say when it comes to weather/safety. It's in our contract and I've had to pull that card on several occasions.

I wasn't really in charge of that, not my call, I don't blame them, but of course his manager said "she will take the blame" yeah, sure...I'll never let that happen on one of my shows.

POTATO!

• 2 weeks later...

Don't ask me how, but I did it...

1074479_10153053908430512_691985999_o.jp
1072050_10153053905800512_1406981953_o.j
999371_10153053904730512_887136797_n.jpg

Over 1200 people in attendance...second stage was horribly underpowered (not my fault), but it was a push for my system. Next year, it's going to be different, mainly because it's going to be such a huge event. KW system on main stage, and a PRX system on the second stage.

Oh yeah, how do you like my blinders? 500 watt work lights from Lowes, two of them were $13 each.

POTATO!

Archived