Thinking Of Starting A Business

so me and a buddy of mine really dont feel like gettin a real job. so we have been throwing around ideas and have been talking a lot about starting a liquor store. is this dumb?

lease would be around $24/sq ft. which includes insurance and taxes

plus a liquor license which i believe is between $500-$750/yr

plus attorney's fees to discuss liability insurance, underage drinking issues, type of business entity

we both have our degrees in finance so i think we will be fine in that aspect of things.

as of now we are both pretty broke. i still live at home with the family, and i figure if we both bust our asses for like a year then we should have enough to start up, or at least get a decent loan.

i figure maybe $15,000 to renovate/build things, and really there isnt that much that goes into a liquor store:

-shelving

-walkin beer fride

-cash register

-store front sign

-plus paint and all of that little shit that adds up

we still have no idea how much it would cost to initially stock things.

but i figure if we can come up with like $30,000 then that should be a good start, half for renovating, half for at least 2 months lease...

we are just throwing around ideas...and just thought id post it on here and see if anybody has anything to say/add. so feel free to speak ur mind. call me a dumbass...i dont care...just give me a little feedback...

i likes me some audio stuff...

It is a great idea as long as you realize how much money you need, Rusty told me he put a bunch of money into DC, I know a liquor store isn't anything like an audio company, just saying you need money haha. Good luck if you decide to try it though.

reason for edit: don't know if he wants people knowing about his finances...

Edited by amatt85

2000 Ford Explorer XLT

-20" RVM "Buck" Wheels

-2.5% Tint

-CompuStar Vizion Alarm

-(4) Infinity Kappa 680.7cs 5x7"

-1 XStatic BatCap Model 300

-2 18" DC LVL 4's

-Amps are undecided

m_8e0e9deb0e2a020a7ff1bf0d3a6c3306.jpg

dumbass.

just playin...

is this going to be like a corner store or more like a bar?

you also have to factor if you're going to have anymore employees and if your location is going to be good enough to start a successful business. and you said you have a finance degree. you should calculate and see how many years you're going to be living in debt before you start to make money. sometimes its going to take longer than you're willing to wait. there are sooo many things to factor in... i know its just an idea... just make sure you think of everything first.

you ain't been bizzy til you've been wit jizzy.

Vehicle:: 2005 Saturn Ion

Headunit:: Jensen 9312HD

Speakers:: RE SE Coaxials

Subwoofer(s):: (2) 15" RE SEs

Amplifier(s):: Audiopipe AP1500.1D

Audiopipe AP1504

Enclosure:: Sealed

Wire: KNU KONCEPTZ 1/0

Battery:: Kinetik HC600

we were talking about a mid-size store...like something between a 'liquor warehouse' type place and a mom & pop type place.

we are trying to shoot for a corner spot with the potential of opening a driver thru.

and i did talk about having several beers on tap for 'taste testing' but we went to a few liquor stores today to check things out and that is illegal in the state of ky.

as far as employees go, it would zero to just a handful at first....im sure we would be putting in ridiculous hours.

and we havent gotten that far yet, about figuring up our cash flow projection and payback period...and all that financial jargon....

I say go for it if you think about it it is one of those businesses that would be hard to fail in because people are always buying alcohol

yea, thats the thing....even when the economy is bad, cigarettes and alcholo always seem to do fine...

yea, thats the thing....even when the economy is bad, cigarettes and alcholo always seem to do fine...

I say go for it what the worst you could do end up with a garage full of booze i would start of small then grow and then have a warehouse type deal to do party orders and bulk orders