05 Dodge Magnum R/T New Double-Din JVC KWR900BT Head Unit Install

Finally going to replace the stock head unit in this bad boy. We went for a road trip this past weekend and it sounded like complete ass compared to how good my Mazda is sounding recently so I pulled the trigger on a new head unit. Hopefully it arrives by this weekend so I can install it. Not to happy about how much extra I had to spend on a bracket and interfaces but I wanted to do it right. I hate doing an install and not having something 100% functional afterward.

I am interested to see how much better the factory amplified system will sound with an after market head unit doing the processing.

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750

Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

Got the new head unit installed last night. I went with the JVC KWR900BT and the PAC RP4-CH11 to do all the interfacing. My wife had to have the double din and that is the one she wanted no matter how much I tried to change her mind. I can say that going with a single din would have been much easier. We didn't really care about video or touch screen we just wanted better sound, hands free calling since its illegal to talk on the phone here while driving and the ability to stream music. This deck is a little pricey compared to other but comes with DSP, Time alignment and 5 volt pre-out.

I didn't take pictures of the stock dash because everyone pretty much knows what that looks like and the bezel just pulls right off. Pull the plugs out the climate control and rear wipers and its pretty straight forward as far as head unit installs go.

You always think you are prepared then you get the first curve ball. The factory non-nav bezel had a bunch of these little screws I had to remove to swap climate control, ESP and rear wiper controls.

IMG_18461_zpsc0911320.jpg

Took a little trip to the hardware store and took the whole stock bezel with me so I would get the exact size I needed

IMG_1847_zps90b5081b.jpg

After that everything came off no prob

IMG_1850_zps7f8618d0.jpg

IMG_1848_zpsf563ac04.jpg

IMG_1849_zps9c51ff2d.jpg

Here is a shot of the double din next to the factory bezel. You do lose the pocket when going double din.

IMG_1853_zps22241839.jpg

I made sure to remove and reuse the factory clips even though the new one came with them.

IMG_1855_zps24f23e70.jpg

Here is a shot of the bezel after swapping all the modules

IMG_1857_zps497c8e88.jpg

There was a white plastic bracket I had to remove the fit the new double din after that there was plenty of room. I then put the four screws back in and go to turn it on and nothing! WTF!!!! Ready to blame everyone and everything I then took a step back and then when through the normal troubleshooting process. Check wires and then I swapped the old unit back in and it still did not turn on. At this point I knew I some how blew a fuse. I blame the PAC RP4-CH11 haha. I eventually track down the fuse in the trunk and replace it. Old head unit fires right up.

IMG_1859_zpsd2f4351b.jpg

I put the new harness on the factory plug and left only the wires to turn the unit on connected and the new unit turns on but no sound? I then connected the remote turn on wire from the PAC RP4-CH11 to the new head unit and everything fired right up!

IMG_1862_zps291ef641.jpg

IMG_1865_zpscacff4e0.jpg

Very happy with the product and sound. Next step is to run the RCA's to the amps and switch them from high level input to low. I had enough for the night and I was happy that it was working.

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

• 3 weeks later...

Figured I would get a small update vid in since I swapped the head unit. I thought its pretty funny how hard this lil 10 is going in a .6 cu sealed thunder form. Its really clean in person and I took this quick clip after coming back from lunch volume was like at 17 or something no where near full tilt but lol

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

Nice Ride Brother

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Nice Ride Brother

Thanks for showing my build some love. Means a lot coming from you man. I forgot to mention that I swapped the high level inputs to RCA's so I am using all low level input on the amps now. The sub hits so much lower now and the tweeters are a lot cleaner. I need to buss out my tape measure and set the time alignment one of these days.

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

How much was the DD bezel?

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

How much was the DD bezel?

25.99 or something like that it's a Metra

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

seriously? I have been searching forever and they always come up $100+

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

I ordered the JVC, radio pro, and bezel together I got a pretty good deal on the package. If you buy separate it's more.

Here is the part number Metra 99-6519

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

• 2 weeks later...

75A8DA5E-E42C-4940-8538-59023100BAE6_zps

Made the switch this weekend not sure how I feel about it. Definitely louder and more mellow sound but can't play as high as the diamond tweeters. Wifey wanted the stock look.

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

Archived