Learned how to use a computer power supply for amp!

I have done this, but i don't like that they run at 12v flat instead of 13.8. The amp draws more current at 12 than it does at 13.8 or 14.4. I saw a thread once on how to wire the 5v rails from three pc power supplies in series to make a 15v power supply. But you can't just wire them in series, you have to modify the grounds, but you get like a 50amp 15v power supply when you are done.

yellow wires = 12v

adjacent black wires = ground.

motherboard connector, bridge the green wire and its adjacent black wire. this is the turn on lead.

:D

I have a paper clip stuck in one of the connectors with the green so the power system think's it's in a computer :D!

yup, thats the 20 pin (or 24) motherboard connector and the turn-on lead im talking about.

yellow wires = 12v

adjacent black wires = ground.

motherboard connector, bridge the green wire and its adjacent black wire. this is the turn on lead.

:D

I have a paper clip stuck in one of the connectors with the green so the power system think's it's in a computer :D!

yup, thats the 20 pin (or 24) motherboard connector and the turn-on lead im talking about.

You think running this long enough would damage my amp? neither amp or supply is getting warm :o

As to running it at 12v, consult the manufacturer's specifications for the min and max voltage and keep the amp within those and you should be fine. If 12v is too low for it then you might have issues. But if it's good down to 10v or something you should be fine

Archived