Is 430 amps good enough?

That amp is rated at 5,400 watts RMS into .75 Ohms. I NEVER recommend operating an amplifier below that which is specified by the manufacturer. Even if the amp can eek out a little bit more power, that will come at the expense of reliability in more ways than one.

This looks to be a Class D Design, so math is as follows:

5400 Watts Output / 75% efficiency = 7200 Watts Input

7200 Watts / 14.4 Volts = 500 Amps

500 x 50% Duty Cycle (music) = 250 Amps

You have more than enough alternator for music, even taking into consideration that each of your Group 34 Batteries will require between 7 and 10 Amps to keep a surface charge on them.

Tony Candela - SMD Sales & Marketing
Email me at [email protected] to learn about becoming an SMD Partner!

CEAES_468.gif

It takes power to make power. Why not just save some money and get another alternator and run at a half instead of a quarter? That's like welding status.. very crazy low.. but just my 2 cents.

The only way I could run at .5 is to buy 2 more subs and wire series/parallel or buy another amp and wire 1 amp parallel to each sub.

*Rebuid in progress*

LrzV2Vk.jpg

VbjgkeI.jpg

That amp is rated at 5,400 watts RMS into .75 Ohms. I NEVER recommend operating an amplifier below that which is specified by the manufacturer. Even if the amp can eek out a little bit more power, that will come at the expense of reliability in more ways than one.

This looks to be a Class D Design, so math is as follows:

5400 Watts Output / 75% efficiency = 7200 Watts Input

7200 Watts / 14.4 Volts = 500 Amps

500 x 50% Duty Cycle (music) = 250 Amps

You have more than enough alternator, even taking into consideration that each of your Group 34 Batteries will require between 7 and 10 Amps to keep a surface charge on them.

Well the car isn't my daily driver. I built it just for demos and to try to pull numbers with at shows. The last show I went to, I did a 154.5 with the stock alt and the stock battery that is half dead. I know that was stupid but I bought the car and installed everything in 4 days to get it to the competition. I never beat on it for more than 10 mins. at a time before i rest it for a little. That's why I was wondering if I could wire to .25, I figured with rise having 5 batts, I would have enough reserve to play it that low in short intervals. Trust me, I would love to have more electric but I'm broke due to buying this car and doing the build within the past 2 weeks lol. I was just wondering if I could play it for short periods at that low of an impedance and if not, what more would I need to be able to do so? I don't want to keep my amp wired that low. Just for a week or 2 until I can buy 2 more subs or a 2nd amp. I just need more power, but don't want to smoke my equipment lol... Story of my life.

*Rebuid in progress*

LrzV2Vk.jpg

VbjgkeI.jpg

Mathematically, about the same. See my sig for more on that... Lol. But the real difference is how much power you will be seeing from each amp. Effeciency

Mathematically, about the same. See my sig for more on that... Lol. But the real difference is how much power you will be seeing from each amp. Effeciency

Good point. I just need more power lol. Seems impossible, but my goal is a 160. I'm hoping I can do it with 4 18s.. The good thing is, I bought this car as a toy to do just my stereo in. So I'll rip the whole thing apart if I have to just to do a 60 lol.. Big hopes, might never happen. But, It's something to shoot for.

Edit: If that's the best way, I'll definately try getting another D9. I don't really want to stray away from this amp. I know the company has a bad reputation but I hear nothing but good things about the D9 and I've never had a problem with it.

*Rebuid in progress*

LrzV2Vk.jpg

VbjgkeI.jpg

Hey guys, you think the engine in my Olds' will be OK if I spin it to 8,500 RPM JUST for a second?

Probably not, but I figured I would be ok with plenty of battery reserve. I don't know much about electrical, which is why I asked. But I assumed I would be ok with plenty of batteries, if I'm wrong then I don't mind being corrected.

*Rebuid in progress*

LrzV2Vk.jpg

VbjgkeI.jpg

Archived