Is this a good headunit? Sony MEX-DV2200

Got a couple of questions in bold while your reading this, thanks :)

I found this radio on craigslist along with an old rockford 1000a2 amp and the guy is letting me pick them both up for $180.

I just wanted the amp at first but I do want to upgrade my factory radio so for the price it does not look bad, but... I do not know much about radios at all.

All I know that looks good is that it has 4v preouts (3 pairs, front rear and mono for sub) and a 7 band eq.

I see it has the ability to buy an adapter for steering wheel controls which I would like to get in the future also since my factory one comes with it and I have grown accustomed to it. 1. Since my factory radio comes with steering wheel buttons already do I need the adapter or just hook a couple of cables up?

Also, 2. What else should I really look for when purchasing a headunit?

I know (I think) if the speakers are going to be amplified a higher preamp is better like 4 or 5... right?

anything else you want to tell me let me know, I'm here to learn some stuff today :)

For some arson many people don't like Sony h.u s. So I'd like to see what someone else says..

It's an older hu. The amp.. as long as condition is good.. its worth a.good amount. $180 isn't bad. I'd still try to talk him down to say 150..

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Factory Unit via 4 chan NVX LOC

Excessive Amperage "H/O" Alt

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

Big 3. 2 Runs of +, 2 Runs of -

DD M3b and 2 12" AQ HDC4s

Yea Im not exactly a sony person but although this one is discontinued its listed on their site at $200+ retail price so I just want to see what the people say, it does not look like a low end unit, I mean I'm probably going to pick it up, worst case I'll just sell it.

I'll be here waiting for some replies. 180 is as low as he is going but for the amp I am going to do it either way probably unless someone from here talks me out of it with a good reason.

He is also giving me a crossover with this deal, I dont know anything about it but it says punchX on it, looks like its from rockford.

The price for both is fair IMO, that amp is solid as long as it works. I have a 1999 Power bd1000a1 that runs like a champ. I just swittched sub to 1ohm and that amp is handling it great since its only 2ohm stable. I do have a beefy electrical system. Paid $200 for it here in Alaska. Buy them and let us know how it goes.

Bought it, came with an old rockford punch.x 3 way crossover that I put on ebay since I have no need for it, amp & h.u work fine.

I'm happy with it. I have just bench tested the radio to make sure it works, later this week I'll be hoking it up to the car.

O and the amp wasnt a 1000a2 it was a 800a4 so I'm even happier since I have been looking for an amp for my mids highs since I already have the sundown 1200.

Now I just need better speakers...

Sweet, glad to hear it. I personal beleive all the older RF amps are solid and clean as hell. That amp will work great for mids & highs. I have all late 2012 RF power amps & speakers besides that bd1000a1 that i had wanted to upgrade to a T1500 but since i am getting 1000 watts out of it in 1ohm i think i will run it until it dies.

Archived