Sundown Audio

test tone question

briang77

I am setting the gain on a new sub amp I just got. I am going to use a 40hz test tone. My question is: Must the test tone be played through the amp using a cd ? Or can I put the test tone on my ipod and play it from that ? Basically, What would give me the best result ? My ipod is hooked up through the aux in on the back of my head unit. I am wondering if this would work, since I always listen to my ipod vs. cds anyway.

Yes that will work, just know that the signal strenght will be different between cd/usb/aux most of the time.

Are you using a DD-1?

No, but I am def going to buy one asap . Right now all I have is a good, fluke dmm. This will only be to get me by until I order my DD-1 this week. Hey, speaking of which am I better off ordering it from sonic electronix or is there a way to get one directly? I am on the east coast in Connecticut

Today, I tried setting the gain with a test tone on my ipod, as I described above. I hooked up my DMM to the + - speaker terminals on the amp, and with the gain and bass boost turned all the way off, the voltage is at 41 ac volts. The voltage it should be at is 34.6 The amp is 600 watts rms. This is the amp http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_64240_Kicker-CX600.1-12XC6001.html I have it running into two 12s at 2 ohms. I am running a kenwood excelon head unit with 5 volt preouts. this one http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_5343_Kenwood-eXcelon-KDC-X789.html it's kinda old Should I get a newer, More ipod friendly head unit with a lower rca out voltage?

also I have the ipod running from the headphone jack to the aux in on the back of the head unit this head unit also has no usb hookup

No, but I am def going to buy one asap . Right now all I have is a good, fluke dmm. This will only be to get me by until I order my DD-1 this week. Hey, speaking of which am I better off ordering it from sonic electronix or is there a way to get one directly? I am on the east coast in Connecticut

To answer this^ buy from wccaraudio.com and steve put up a thread with a discount code.. smddd1 Bought one a couple weeks ago, codes still good

2x Sundown SA-15s 8 cubes tuned to 30hz sealed in trunk Soundstream Rub 1.1600 Soundstream Rub 5.800 4x Kinetik hc600

excellent gonna buy one asap

To answer this^ buy from wccaraudio.com and steve put up a thread with a discount code.. smddd1 Bought one a couple weeks ago, codes still good

Excellent, gonna get one asap , Sick of playing guessing games, the dd1 is a must have at this point

excellent gonna buy one asap

Excellent, gonna get one asap , Sick of playing guessing games, the dd1 is a must have at this point

I feel ya, Im a studio recording major, taken several classes on 'ear training'. after i got mine i was surprised how inaccurate my gains were... so yes definitely worth the money!

2x Sundown SA-15s 8 cubes tuned to 30hz sealed in trunk Soundstream Rub 1.1600 Soundstream Rub 5.800 4x Kinetik hc600

Archived