fusing question

i have a question on fusing an amp. if the amp says it needs an external fuse you put on in line with the power supply line. but if the amp does not need an external fuse and has fuses built into the amp does it need an external fuse also? then how big of an fuse would you use. say if the amp has 120 amps worth of fuses built in the amp. do you need an 120 amp fuse in the power supply line.

Its always a good idea to use an external fuse even if the amp has fusing built in, to help protect against shorts and anything else that can go bad. and always match the fuse rating with the rating of the amp for an inline fuse.

Also when mounting that inline fuse you want it as close the the battery as possible the idea is that the wire is protected after the fuse block. so the closer the battery the more the wire is protected against short and anything else along those lines.

Its always a good idea to use an external fuse even if the amp has fusing built in, to help protect against shorts and anything else that can go bad. and always match the fuse rating with the rating of the amp for an inline fuse.

You fuse for the current that wire can handle, not the amp rating. The purpose of the amp rating on the fuse is not melt wire and burn a vehicle down, plus protecting from a short.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

You fuse for the current that wire can handle, not the amp rating. The purpose of the amp rating on the fuse is not melt wire and burn a vehicle down, plus protecting from a short.

ahhhh, thanks for clearing that up. see learn something everyday

No biggie, I was just putting the info out there. Most people wouldn't fuse a 4 gauge wire at 300 amps, just because their Boss 5500 amp was rated to handle it. They would fuse to the 150 or so that the wire can handle.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

No biggie, I was just putting the info out there. Most people wouldn't fuse a 4 gauge wire at 300 amps, just because their Boss 5500 amp was rated to handle it. They would fuse to the 150 or so that the wire can handle.

that makes more sense, i was told by someone to fuse what the amp can handle. i know a good amount but im ALWAYS learning.

Archived