Second Skin Audio

sub sounding like shit in back seat

Ok so I got a RE XXX sub and the box it came with is to big to fit in my hatch area (1996 camaro). so until I get some more cash to build one I just tossed it in the back seat. The box is like 1.7 ft with one of those circular tube ports, I forget what they're called but I hate them. Anyways yea I know the box is small but is it so small that the sub should sound like sh**? Cause it does, its cool on lower volumes but when I really turn it up it sounds like I here the subwoofer working and it gets annoying. Is it because its so close to me? Or what? Here's a little more info. The amp I'm using right now is aBrutus 1200.d, I know it's not the best but it made my last pair of 12's bump pretty good so why isn't the sub its powering now getting as loud as my last subs which were just 2 RE SEX subs. Also the sub is sitting in the area between a pair of rockford coaxial speakers. Could that be the problem? Or maybe my amp cant keep up? Its wired at 1 ohm. Sorry for the long post, just trying to be detailed.

Pics of box in the car?

Are you clipping?

What are you tuned to?

I can tell you what the issue is right now

The port is too small in the first place. The wire in the port creates more turbulence. And the port doesn't have enough space on the bottom to breathe.

That's a 3" port by the looks of it. Am I right?

I just measured and its 4 inches, so not much bigger. And upon further inspection I found that the tube of the port is duct taped to the outer circle of the port. So about 90% of it isn't even secure. I knew the box was bad but damn. Should I take that tube out.? Or will the port be to shallow if I do that?

To be honest I think you would be better of building a whole new box.

If that isn't an option for you then take the tube out and glue some wood over the hole from the backside to seal it and essentially turn your box into a sealed one.

I can tell you what the issue is right now

The port is too small in the first place. The wire in the port creates more turbulence. And the port doesn't have enough space on the bottom to breathe.

That's a 3" port by the looks of it. Am I right?

Not to mention that 9 times out of 10, a box tossed in the back seat is gonna sound like ass.

OP, build a new box, not that hard. Hell, even those prefabs that fit the storage compartment would probably sound better than having a box in the back seat.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

And you 4" measurement: Is that on the outside of the flare or on the inside of the tube part? The inside tube is the width we are after ;)

Archived