Help with active 3-way setup?

brohd11

Hey guys so i've been planning on glassing my doors and wanted to run a 3 way setup. I was originally going to do a 10 inch dayton mid with a 6.5 inch. Now, I was thinking an 8 inch Dayton RS with a 3 inch Dayton RS. My concern though is that the 3 inch is only rated for 15 wrms. Would it be able to keep up with the 8? Or would I have to keep the 8 turned way down to match it? Ill be matching these drivers with a silk dome of some type probably located in the pillars. Should i put the mid up there? I'm trying to avoid that but if need be I will. Also any suggestions for other drivers? Budget is probably gonna be around 800- 1000 for all speakers.

Thanks in advance guys.

Links:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=295-380

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=295-376

Did you take a look at the RS dome midrange? I want to do a 3way setup in my room with the Dayton rs silk dome, rs dome midrange, and either the 8 or 10 inch rs woofers. Those would make a great SQesque setup in a car.

You'll probably have to glass the apillars to get them to look good though.

*New vehicle and system coming soon.*

Did you take a look at the RS dome midrange? I want to do a 3way setup in my room with the Dayton rs silk dome, rs dome midrange, and either the 8 or 10 inch rs woofers. Those would make a great SQesque setup in a car.

Thanks for the reply man.

I think im gonna do the rs silk dome with a 4 inch mid where the pillar meets the dash and then either the 8 or 10 in my door.

Should i go with the 8 or 10 you think? only problem with 10 is it is only in 8 ohm for some reason. :shrug:

I'd go with the 8 in a car, especially if you have a sub. Easier to install and power.

*New vehicle and system coming soon.*

I think im gonna do the rs silk dome with a 4 inch mid where the pillar meets the dash and then either the 8 or 10 in my door.

Should i go with the 8 or 10 you think? only problem with 10 is it is only in 8 ohm for some reason. :shrug:

It really depends on how much midbass you want, available locations, and fabrication level. In this case I would side with Bobby. You really don't need a 10" midbass for your plans unless you REALLY wanted it. You can use another brand for midbass if you weren't committed to an all Dayton setup. Here are a couple alternatives.

Silver flute

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-8-woofers/silver-flute-w20rc38-04-ohm-8-wool-cone/

Peerless SLS

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=264-1102

It is considered a subwoofer but does really well playing into the midbass territory.

Goldwood

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=290-312

I use a 10" version of this in my car on 240 watts and I have more midbass than I can handle. They really anchor the frontstage and give the "bass up front feeling".

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

That Peerless 8 is actually considered to be at the top of the list for most people who have done 8" for midbass in an active set up.

And to the OP, you are doing a 4 way set up, not a 3. The sub is part of the sound stage too ya know.

If you plan to do an electronic processor like a true active set up will use, your options are fairly limited on ones that will run 4 way. And with what you are planning to do, you will want teh electronic unit to be able to do time alignment to make everything sound right or you will have staging and possible phase issues.

Daily Driver 1999 Kia Sephia

Kenwood DNX-893s
Audison Bit One Processor
2 Dat 4.125's
Sundown Audio SCV-6k
Hertz hsk-165xl's Mids running active                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Focal V30 Series Tweeters running active 
Sundown Sa-8 v1's in the doors
2 Sundown Zv5 12's 
Lots of Hushmat
Big 3+ and 3 + & 3- runs of Trystar 2/0
2 Dc Power Engineering 320 HP Alts

2017 Comp Vehicle
2006 Toyota 4 Runner
Kenwood Excelon DNX-893s                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Audison Bit One HD DSP
4 Sundown Sa 6.5v2 Component Sets 
Focal Access 6.5 2 ways
Sundown Audio Sax-50.4                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Sundown Audio Sax-100.4
2 Dc Power 370xp
Northstar agm27f
Northstar agm65
2 Northstar asmagm 480's
2 Dual 1 Sundown Nightshade v3 12's
2 Sundown SCV-7500's
All SMD Fuse Holders
Shitload Of Sundown 1/0

120 sq ft Second Skin Damp Pro

No, Its Not A Burp Truck!!!!

2016 Season 3rd place in Xtreme 1 At Finals

2016 Season 6th Place In Kaos 1 At Finals ( Blew The Subs Up In First Round Eliminations)

2 Kansas State Records Set In 2016 In Xtreme 1 And Kaos 1 In Midwest SPL

2-1.jpgsa.jpg
DCPowerLogoTransparent2.png

David said:

audio is a lifestyle, not a hobby

newls1
I cant read a tape to save my life... 1/2's are ok, but other marks confuse me
kingsuv
only men who cant read a tape, take it in the ass
kingsuv
you sir, get a pink hard hat on jobsites

It really depends on how much midbass you want, available locations, and fabrication level. In this case I would side with Bobby. You really don't need a 10" midbass for your plans unless you REALLY wanted it. You can use another brand for midbass if you weren't committed to an all Dayton setup. Here are a couple alternatives.

Silver flute

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-8-woofers/silver-flute-w20rc38-04-ohm-8-wool-cone/

Peerless SLS

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=264-1102

It is considered a subwoofer but does really well playing into the midbass territory.

Goldwood

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=290-312

I use a 10" version of this in my car on 240 watts and I have more midbass than I can handle. They really anchor the frontstage and give the "bass up front feeling".

Cool will look into those ones and ill go with the 8 then. Thanks man :)

That Peerless 8 is actually considered to be at the top of the list for most people who have done 8" for midbass in an active set up.

And to the OP, you are doing a 4 way set up, not a 3. The sub is part of the sound stage too ya know.

If you plan to do an electronic processor like a true active set up will use, your options are fairly limited on ones that will run 4 way. And with what you are planning to do, you will want teh electronic unit to be able to do time alignment to make everything sound right or you will have staging and possible phase issues.

I am aware its 4 way, i meant just the frontstage lol. Ill probably get a real processer in the future, like a Audison or Rockford. For now I have a deck with decent settings. DTA, channel level control. Should be fine for now. Thanks for the reply :slayer:

Edit: See ya have the bit one. Thats what i was thinkin about, how do you like it?

Also, da fuq is this: :buttlick: lmao

Archived