Mechanic Help needed with ignition cylinder

Okay, I have a 2006 Jetta. My ignition cylinder is not turning. I stick the key in and it wont turn, almost like the steering wheel lock is on even though I can turn the steering wheel from lock to lock without the key in the ignition. I have no idea what is going on. It started on me yesterday and was able to cure it with Graphite lube but it is not longer working now.

1. I have tried re-Graphite lubing it to no success.

2. I have tried cleaning out the cylinder with compressed air just in case if something was preventing the key from going all the way in and not turn over. No success.

That is what I have done so far. I have done some searches online and haven't come up with much. People are saying that they can't get their key in period. I can get my key in, but can't turn it over. I'm running out of ideas here.

I can't even get the cylinder out to replace due to the fact that I have to turn it 90 degrees then insert a pin to be able to release the cylinder. It's getting frustrating.

What I'm going to do next is try to drop the whole ignition piece and see what I can do from there.

formerly known as Blue86f150

its a 4th order just because its tuned in the 40z doesnt mean it wont reach down and jiggle your balls at sub 30 hz frequencies.

Regardless if they were dipped platinum and were stuffed in Beyonce's twat.....way too fucking exspensive

this sux camel dicks

sounds like the tumbler pins are broken. I had this happen to my focus and I had to drill a hole out in the cylinder that was just shy of the width of the key. when i drilled the hole I was able to use a screw driver to start my car but I already had a replacement tumbler to swap just didn't have the time.

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

replace the whole ignition switch assy. not hard but will hafta take it somewhere to get your key to work in the new ignition unless you wanna use your keyless entry all the time or 2 different keys. Call vw and see what they say about if you replace the ignition switch if the ecu has to be reprogrammed..... definitly a pain in the ass. Maybe try to replace the ignition switch with a junkyard unit (with the key of course) and see if your car will start and stay running. not too hard to do. i remove ignitions all the time at my work.

i think there real i was looking through that guys stuff he sells and it looks like he finds stuff at auctions and just sells it

Yea, it looks like someone got the mids about a month ago....shit. If I had a whole Hertz front stage my ears would jizz all over my cheeks.

/ LOL

My Low Budget Build:

Green 1995 Subaru Legacy wagon 147k- $1K

headunit- pioneer premier deh-p650-$25

4 Lead acid batts. 1 up front and 3 in back- vented outside.- $50

4 vvme L11 10"s <- $30 shipped a piece

6 cu. ft box (after displacment) tuned to 32ish hz with 10 inch sonotube. -about $50 all together maybe a lil more

2 aspm 1300 strapped

Selenium 6"s in the front doors on headunit power- for now -$20

quantum tweets in door-for now -$10

boston acoustic 5 1/4 in rear doors- for now-Free

big 3

1/0 and 4awg throughout.

roof sound deadened (not peel n seal ftw)-free

on 80 amp alt (bench tested to put out 100 amps faithfully) <--?-$10 for test

about $430 for everything<----Not bad at all

still gotta add 3 way crossover, amp for front and rear door speakers and maybe eq

Well got it working for now. I'm going to eventually replace the switch assembly but for now got it working. I disassembled the switch assembly with it on the car (since they sheared the top of the bolts off) and found a piece of metal on the inside of the assembly. looked inside and saw where it came from. So removed the metal and reassembled the switch and now it turns over decently. Still a little rough but it works for now. Will get the part ordered here in a few days (pay day Friday) and will pull it all apart again (might get a new steering wheel also since the one I have is a little rough on the grips). But all in all it is working for now and that is great.

formerly known as Blue86f150

its a 4th order just because its tuned in the 40z doesnt mean it wont reach down and jiggle your balls at sub 30 hz frequencies.

Regardless if they were dipped platinum and were stuffed in Beyonce's twat.....way too fucking exspensive

this sux camel dicks

Archived