typically how long does an alternator last cuz my car is 19 years old and i think it just went bad on me, cuz the lights dim when i'm stopped and if i have my blinker on at a stop sign it will start to blink really fast and then just stop blinkin but once i rev the engine it starts blinkin normally, so the alternator is the only thing i can think of... any suggestions

Do you read ur own response b4 you post?...or just type ur gut reaction and headbutt the enter key? :blink:

How bout this, the Caddy sounds so damn good it can put a smile on a "deaf mans" face :)

mat then mix hardener into resin and soak mat. beeeeeyaw glassing for n00bs

SMDsigbannr9.jpg

Go to autozone and have it tested for free...

if its bad replace it, check your batt too.

na it's not the batt cuz once u start ur car all the power comes from the alt, i could start the car and take the batt out and lights won't dim or nuttin (b4 all the problems started)

Edited by KWP369
Do you read ur own response b4 you post?...or just type ur gut reaction and headbutt the enter key? :blink:

How bout this, the Caddy sounds so damn good it can put a smile on a "deaf mans" face :)

mat then mix hardener into resin and soak mat. beeeeeyaw glassing for n00bs

SMDsigbannr9.jpg

na it's not the batt cuz once u start ur car all the power comes from the alt, i could start the car and take the batt out and lights won't dim or nuttin (b4 all the problems started)

Actually the car is started off of the battery then is transferred to the alt. And you can't take the battery out when you have the car started because the electrical system works in a loop the battery is part of that loop. Take ur alt to autozone and let them check it.

Mark

99 Eclipse Spyder

Yeah, it could be any number of things, you can't really know until you get it tested.. But just remember not to always trust people at autozone, I took my car there to have the bat tested and they told me I had a bad ECU, now I don't see why a bad ecu would cause my car not to start, so I took it over to O'reilly autoparts and then they said it was a bad alternator, and if my alternator was bad I didn't see how I could jump it so easily, then I took it back to the dealer and it ended up just being a bad battery (too much bass for stock bat. to handle). This may have been just 2 freak occurrences at 2 different autopart store's, but just keep in mind if you do take it to autozone, those people are making like 8 bucks an hour and couldn't probably care less about you or your car.

Actually the car is started off of the battery then is transferred to the alt. And you can't take the battery out when you have the car started because the electrical system works in a loop the battery is part of that loop. Take ur alt to autozone and let them check it.

if you have a diesel then yes you can take the bat out after you have it started, its needed to start, but not to run in diesel

My F-150 Build

GET ON THE BANDWAGON

loganberry44.gif

DSC01482-1-1.jpg

what if they tried messing with the amps when the subs werent louder :ehh: hahah jk :pardon:

You can run your car with the battery out, after starting it its not good for the Alt. to do this but it is a very fast way to test the Alt. to see if its working correctly.

The battery is only there to start the vehcile and at as a voltage storage to be supplied to electrical system.

KWP if the lights aren't dimming with battery is removed then it may be a loose belt or battery maybe going bad on you start with the belt first.