long term electrical issue

Alright so I have been having this problem ever since i started into a system (roughly 2 years). I drive a 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2L V8..having voltage drop like crazy even with a 300 amp tenney alternator (had a 250 amp excessive amperage alt before this one and still had the same effect) and 5 100 ah batts in the back.

I have 5 group 31 batteries 100 ah in the back (all have been load tested individually at 300 amps and 500 amps...came out perfect)..

4 runs of positive from front to back (even decided to do 2 runs of ground from front to back and 2 of positive to see if it helped...it didn't)

6 grounds in the back for the 5 batteries... jeep is a unibody so it is to the frame rail

guess i should add that all wired used is OFC and 1/0g plus some 2/0g welding wire for one ground

big 4 done under the hood with an agm batt and a 300 amp tenney alt (6 phase hairpin style...same casing as the DC power alt for my jeep).

I am running a lanzar opti 7k at 1 ohm (so roughly 5k rms) on 4 gpi 15s.

As soon as i start to turn the bass knob up, the voltage immediately drops to the 12s/11s and even high 10s....the alt self exciting for 14.6 (so its sort of externally regulated because my jeep is pcm/ecu regulated for 13..

I have switched out amps, moved grounds, added more grounds under the hood, added another vehicle (hooked up 1/0g to a vehicle with a 200 amp alt) to see if it gave my jeep more juice to stay up in voltage, but that was also a no go. I even bolted a toolmaker bus bar to my frame rail and used it as a ground source and it didn't help any either.

If any Jeep drivers have anything,,.,that would be awesome

There are several other jeeps in my area (all different years/makes/engines than mine) that are also experiencing this problem, so ANY help would be appreciated. I have tried everything that i can think of and i probably forgot to list some of the things so if you comment on here i might have already tried it but any and all help would be great.

Really dumb question but what volt meter are you using?

Build log: Click

03 Chevy Blazer

- IPad Air 2 

- ALPINE Head Unit

- 4 DC XL 18s

- 2 DC 3.5k

- ALPINE TYPE R 5.25 COMP

- 3 ALPINE TYPE R 6.5 COMPs

- DC 175.4

- DC HO Alt

- D3400

- 4 XP3000s

- KNU 0ga

- 60 SqFt Damp Pro

Lots more...

Really dumb question but what volt meter are you using?

I have used a couple actually. Right now a stinger and yes i used a dmm first to adjust the volt meter to the actual reading. then i used an x scorpion. Then i took out the volt meters and just used the dmm to make sure that's what i was dropping to.

Ok, just making sure it wasn't a faulty reading

Build log: Click

03 Chevy Blazer

- IPad Air 2 

- ALPINE Head Unit

- 4 DC XL 18s

- 2 DC 3.5k

- ALPINE TYPE R 5.25 COMP

- 3 ALPINE TYPE R 6.5 COMPs

- DC 175.4

- DC HO Alt

- D3400

- 4 XP3000s

- KNU 0ga

- 60 SqFt Damp Pro

Lots more...

stupid question... but have you clamped either alternator? and is this drop at idle or at 2000 rpms?

This isn't teeball. YOU DO NOT GET A TROPHY JUST BECAUSE YOU SHOW UP. Put the work in and then maybe get the respect when it has been earned

151.6 with single 12 at 41 hz

153.2 with 2 12's at 43 hz

power: dd m4

stupid question... but have you clamped either alternator? and is this drop at idle or at 2000 rpms?

Yes i have clamped both alts..the EA was not doing near what it was supposed to...long story there. but this tenney alt is. This is at 2000 rpms. At idle its even worse like 10.4 volts at idle with system

Archived