See if there is something under the hood that's covered in a lot of black dust where the belt disintegrates.

Turn the car off and tug on the belt. It shouldn't move very much. No more than a half inch with a firm tug. Perhaps the store gave you a belt that was too large?

First thing you could try is to look across the pullys from side of vehicle ( near fender) as see if any are out of alinement or wobbly. If nothing appears to be out of wack, use wd 40 or pb blaster and spray each pully from behind, one at a time and when squeaking stops thats the one that needs replaced.

Yeah... No Because then theres oil on the belt... Not good.

Use soapy water, and spray on each pulley one a a time, Or if your brave enough use a bar of soap on the pully itself

Should have been more clear I guess, spray back side of pulley where bearings are, not on belt, but I'm sure soap would also work.

Still no. A pulley needs friction to work. Squealing is caused by the demand of whatever it's driving exceeding the amount of friction the belt/pulley have. Spraying protective oil on the bearings won't do anything and will just get over spray on your belt. Making the slipping issue worse (even if it becomes silent)

Does it squeal all the time? Only when you turn the wheel? High electrical load?

The point of spraying the bearings isn't to solve the problem, if you read my first post it says "spray each pulley from behind, one at a time and when squeaking stops that's the one that needs replaced." Its a cheap and easy way to locate which pulley is going bad. And since your supposed to replace the belt any time you replace and idler pulleys, belt tensioner ect, getting a little bit of spray on belt isn't a problem.

The belt is the right size, ive changed the belt twice and the squeal is still there. so its one of the pulleys. I will try the spray on the pulleys. my belt has a warrenty and i can take it back and exchange it.

So just spray one pulley and then start the truck and see if it still spueals? one by one?

• 2 weeks later...

Kind of skimmed the thread, but Sounds like belt tension is not right

And if you read the whole thread, you would realize you are wrong.

Start the truck, Get a spray bottle with soap amd water Then spray pullys indiviusally

Use soap and water because it will eventually dry, oil will not.

1998 gmc extd cab

12 crossfire C710s

4 SAZ-4500s

3 Singer 400A alts
buncha mids/highs

Team Asshole

Archived