98's Lifted 98 Grand Cherokee Build

And I have a NP231J transfer case I am swapping in (should have done it already just been REALLY lazy lol). My NP249J has a shot viscous coupler which causes binding when turning because its always trying to send power to the front wheels even when the rear isnt slipping. The 249 is a full time AWD tcase with part time 4lo, the 231 is a full time RWD with part time 4hi and 4lo. Basically swapping it in to eliminate the viscous coupler and its cheaper for the 231 tcase than it is to buy a new viscous coupler for the 249 case. Also the 231 is smaller, lighter, and doesnt hang down quite as far under the center of the Jeep for a little better ground clearance.

It is out of a 93 Grand Cherokee 4.0 and has a 23 spline, .81" input shaft length, which is the same as my 98 249 on my 4.0 but the 93 case has a collar in the input that mates to a different earlier style transmission output. I had to crack the case open to remove the collar.

The little silver ring (collar) in there behind the splines is the part I needed to remove.

93-95ZJNP231JTransferCase003_zps7e0bb75b

Here a pics of it apart.

231InputCollarRemoval001_zpsfa518c16.jpg

And the culprit, all that work for this little bastard.

231InputCollarRemoval002_zpsaa8ff64d.jpg

And the case put back together and waiting me to not be lazy and install it. Its been sitting for a few months lol

93-95ZJNP231JTransferCase004_zps41ffe0e8

get an 8.8 from a 95- up explorer they have disc brakes, and i believe the gears are 3.73. either way if your running 31's the gearing is decent. im running 33's and mine was geared down. not to sure on the current gearing because i bought it like that. only thing i wish i had has posi or airlockers!

I'm not a fan of the 8.8 I'm swapping the 44ahd into mine

GuEMAcB.png

8.8 are a direct swap into a jeep, and there better than whats under a jeep. the only down fall is in the diff itself if you break a c clip theres nothing holding your axels in. they will just slide out lol. but there is a kit you can buy to bolt the axle to the axel casing. sorry i dont know all these technical terms for the parts.

i like!!! :)

last build was my malibu walled on a single skar 4500 @.33 daily

6 deka g31 batts Singer 330a alt 4 runs of 3/0 front-back

Three hdc3 15

Did a 154.6 this summer at Grassroots

Building a 99 yukon denali atm

?

18 from canada ontario

Archived