Speaker cuts out when screwed in, work when not screwed in?!

Im helping a buddy of mine put in a system and while installing the rear speakers i wanted to test everything, ( its an 80s toyota ) and the amp kept going into protect. unhooked all speakers and only hooked up 1 and it wasnt mounted, just a 1ft run and it worked great. so i went to the rears and noticed when the speaker is not mounted and out in the open it played awesome! the second i screw it in at a sertain point the singla will cut and go inprotection. so i realized the terminals on the speakers might be ground out with the metal frame, wrapped them in eletrical tape ust to see and nothing, could the metal basket of the speaker be grounding out somehow? idk i thought about using rubber washer and wrapping each screw in eletrical tape to the spaker wasnt touching any metal. looking for option!! thanks. any further info ill be glad to answer!

Yeah you are grounding somehwere, could be tinsel leads, or something touching the frame, then when its isntalled it grounds.

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

Magnet hitting anything metal?

could be! Doubt it, but either way if I electrical tapes the back it would be ok right? As long as it doesn't touch...

Yeah you are grounding somehwere, could be tinsel leads, or something touching the frame, then when its isntalled it grounds.

. What do you touching the Frame? The speaker basket ( the part that touches when mounted ) touch metal which is probably the frame would that do it?

If your tinsel leads are slapping the basket then there is your issue, if you have your magnet hitting metal same thing, if you have that speaker wired reverse polarity it may cause an issue. OR the speaker could be blown(check it with a meter, not by ear).

are you using the factory speaker wires? some of those older cars used the frame to ground speakers, and some used one wire for all of the speaker grounds. That may be flipping your amp into protect.

Speakers are brand new. wire is not stock, brand new 16gauge ofc knukoncepts ran right from amp. my guess like everyone has said is somethings hitting, i didnt know it could be tinsil or magnet, going to check today! will let you guys know thanks!

Archived