Ok so once I saw this commercial I have always wanted to try some on the inside of a subwoofer box, I saw it when I was at ace hardware and was like why not! Took two cans though.

2013-05-27_16-39-41_244_zpsc396c156.jpg

Hmmmm...here goes nothing!

2013-05-27_16-39-53_365_zps37403032.jpg

and vwalla!

2013-05-28_17-03-50_401_zps6ef9acf9.jpg

2013-05-28_17-03-38_124_zps4bdf0b57.jpg

2013-05-28_17-04-03_705_zpsdc4a99d5.jpg

In this pic you can see how I used resin on every joint, came out pretty good, I didnt use flex seal because I was worried about air leaks because I have fiberglass resin covering every square inch of the inside. I just wanted to try it out and see what it was like. I approve, but this stuff is like 15bucks a can so for what it covers and for the price I would still use bed liner on the insides of boxes, but I'm biased I love that stuff!! You will soon see

My 03' sierra crew cab Here build in progress

So I thought I would introduce the boston's into the build for those of you who don't know about them. I am using the Boston Acoustics SPG555's. For starters they are oval so they are considered a 13" sub. The voice coil and cone/sps(they call it thier soft part system) are both replaceable, all you need is the parts and a set of allen's. The voice coil is screwed directly into the cone so if you fry it you can have a new one in in less then 5 minutes, or you can change out the coilds for a different impedance! You dont even have to take the woofer out of the box unless you change out the sps. They use a neodymium magnet which is super light and super strong. it's only about 25lbs. Only downside is I've had issues with the voice coil not being tight enough and I fried one coil:( and noticed the screws on the other coil wern't tight so Ive stripped out all heads on them and had to take a dremel and cut slots in them so I can use a regular screwdriver to tighten them. I wish I could find replacement screws but these things are pretty custom. Non the less I lik um' so check um' out.

2013-05-28_17-09-37_364_zpsf409cfe6.jpg

2013-05-28_17-09-47_839_zpsbc379ffe.jpg

2013-05-28_17-10-01_437_zps0a31cb10.jpg

2013-05-28_17-10-40_587_zps887ddfef.jpg

A little better comparasin....I love these new rockstars, suprisingly taste like you just ate a green apple!

2013-05-28_17-12-12_247_zpsf4cf3054.jpg

Here is what the SPS looks like

2013-05-29_13-00-23_38_zps1564c034.jpg

Here you can see where the leads melted when the coil went...sad day, but they are both replaced so good to go! :)

2013-05-29_13-00-40_672_zpsfaa8f9db.jpg

Here's a better view of my custom screws. they stripped while pulling the coil out so I had to use the dremel on the heads of the screw while they where still holding in the coil. Yeah I was a little scared...because this was on a good coil I was grinding those screws.

2013-05-29_13-01-15_488_zps2b83d6cb.jpg

I mentioned earlier I would show how the new crossovers will look on the B pilliar so here they are, these are for the 6.5's in the kick's, front door, and rear door, and for the 5.25's in the dash. Still havent decided where to put the x-overs for the ones going in the rear C pilliars but I think I have idea...we will see anyhow here they are.

2013-05-28_17-13-31_147_zps6b8bca3d.jpg

Oh and the top ones aren't screwed in yet I ran out of screws so they get some 3m double sided tape for now but they will be properly fastened!

2013-05-28_17-13-55_129_zpsf8c08f63.jpg

Looks good. Wonder if you couldn't get new screws from home depot, or ace, or somewhere like that. Some stainless allen head screws would probably be fine. Even if they're not the same style, if they all match then it should matter I wouldn't think. Just a thought. Good luck with it.

I've always liked the different look of these subs. Just never was able to get any.

Keep up the good work! I think for the final test of the enclosure you should fill it with water!! LOL Isn't this the stuff that he fixes a boat leak with?!?

Looks good. Wonder if you couldn't get new screws from home depot, or ace, or somewhere like that. Some stainless allen head screws would probably be fine. Even if they're not the same style, if they all match then it should matter I wouldn't think. Just a thought. Good luck with it.

I've always liked the different look of these subs. Just never was able to get any.

Keep up the good work! I think for the final test of the enclosure you should fill it with water!! LOL Isn't this the stuff that he fixes a boat leak with?!?

I did try serveral hardware stores and just couldn't find any, I'd prefer normal screw style over allen's but no luck with either. I was hoping Boston would have some info but doesnt give any description on the threads or anything, and my thread gauge wouldnt line up with them, but I'll post a pic later of what the screw looks like.

Yeah that's another thing is Boston is disscontinuing their car audio line so they don't sell any thing but home audio anymore:( I found these for 280 each just before they sold out. I wish I would have stocked up on voice coils because I cant find anymore 2ohm coils lying around. Really sad to see these things die off, they had alot of good features that most brands dont have. Would have liked to see what else they were capable of coming out with. Oh well, besides once I get all this done its onto newer plans for this truck like I dunno 2-3 lvl 5's or 2-3 AA Mayhems.....wait and see hehehe....maybe when that happens I'll seal the port on this box up and go kyaking with it lol, seriously this box it 12" wide by 63" its a friggin 2 person kyak!

Yeah, but their customer service for their car audio is laking if non existing now that they got rid of it. They called me randomly like 2 months later letting me know that they got my email whish was letting them know about the voice coil issue. They said that should be under warranty and I could send it off somewhere but by then I had already replaced the parts so it there wasnt any reason to send it in. also he said that he has never had that issue with the coil loosening it's self and he has personally installed 200+ coils and hasn't had the allen's strip out because you shouldnt have to tighten them that much....well even after I stripped them out they still lossened up so I had cut up the screws and use red loctite on all of them before it stopped doing that! Uh lame, oh well FIY FTW!!

Now that I mentioned it looks like a kyak, I really want to do what I was saying and see if I can get it to float! Just because that would be a funny post...already started thing about ways to do it lol!! But I have to finish this build and save up some cash for the bigger equipment so maybe next year!! Haha call it the Bumpin' cannoe!

Here is a pic of the screw that boston uses to hold down the coil
2013-05-30_18-37-02_934_zps72e4029d.jpg

Archived