Jump to content

New HO alternator now have whine through speakers.


Recommended Posts

Posted

New to the page so hope I'm not breaking any rules. Anyway, here's my system. I have a pioneer AVH-X1500DVD, Rockford P400-4 amp running mids and highs, for mids and highs I have JBL GTO508C 5.25-Inch 2-Way Component System and JBL GTO608C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component System. For subs I have 2 15inch Sundown SA15's being pushed by a Sundown SAZ-2500D V.2 wired to 2ohm's. I have Jl Audio 0 gauge running from my stock battery to a XS Power XP2000 2000 Watt Power Cell in the trunk with an isolator installed. I have recently upgraded my alternator to a powermax USA 170amp alternator for a 2000 Toyota 4runner and since installing I have been getting alternator noise through my speakers. The noise does not increase when I increase the volume of the head unit but can be heard at low volume. This was not happening with the stock alternator. During the installation of the new alternator the 3 prong connector refused to come out of the stock alternator, I got a replacement connector and soldered it in to install the new alternator. Since hearing the whine I disconnected the RCA's to the amp and the whine went away. I am using Kicker Z2 Z125 rca's. They where not the best but I thought they would do the trick. Before I replace all of my rca cables I would like to get some opinions. When I disconnected the rca's the sound went away but if I touched the rca terminal with my finger the noise got louder. Does this indicate a ground issue or should I start with replacing the RCA's with a higher quality rca or does that in fact demonstrate that I don't have a grounding issue and it's the rca's that I should start with. Any input would be helpful. Thanks for reading.

Posted

Are you running the power wire and RCAs on the same side of the vehicle?

I was having the same issue after I got my high output alt as well. I reran the RCAs and put them on the opposite side of the truck and that fixed it.

Also.... Upgrading RCAs will make your system sound better anyway. So if you have the money I suggest you do that anyway.

AlphaDamp CLD Mat - Get more Sound Deadening with less Sound Deadener

Posted

They cross near the head unit but don't run perpendicular to each other. I'm thinking tomorrow if I have time I will ground the rca's and see what happens or ground the alternator to different ground points. I guess whats bugging me is I had to solder a new connector in and not sure if that's what is causing the problem, I left a good amount of spare wire because it was a pain to get to with a soldering iron. I could also try grounding the head unit to a custom ground. What I can't get my head around is this wasn't happening with the stock alternator, the new alternator has a smaller pulley and spins faster and perhaps that is creating the issue by simply putting out more amps or because I had to alter the connector. The good news is imagined or not the system sounds louder with the new alternator just have to find a way to rid the alternator of the noise.

Posted

I have the same brand,Powermaxx USA 220amp alt. Mine also makes engine noise after the install. I install for a living,my rca's are far away from any high current device.however I notice a wierd engine noise ,the pitch goes away once it hits 1000rpm and up and comes back when the idle drops! Its backwards!! It whines only at idle and will go away when I rev,it whines downwards not upwards like a current inducing rca line would. Is this your problem? I have not found a solution but I would think a smaller pulley and smaller belt should do the trick

Posted

Not sure what to think. Once I turn the volume up you can't hear it so I suppose it's not such a big deal. It just drives me nuts when I start the car before the music starts play I can hear the alternator noise. I don't install for a living but I'm a automotive technician so I know about car electronics just not so much about the custom audio side of things. I have a shop I go to for parts and I promised them a demo when the system was done so I'll shot down tomorrow after work and see what they think. I would really rather not install a ground isolator. As for the smaller pulley it came with one, However I was lucky enough to not have to install a smaller belt as I had enough adjustment to make up for slack. Thanks for your input and if I find a solution to my problem I'll pass it on to you, perhaps we have the same issue.

Posted

Well,with the volume on 0 on my 80prs at idle 750-800rpm I have engine noise,when I drive anything over 1100rpm and it goes away completely. It also whines downwards when I rev upwards which is wierd. However,if you are getting alternator noise after 1000rpm and if the pitch followes the rpm then yoi most likely have ground issues or the rca's could simply be pinched/grounded or to close to a high current device (fuel pump ect...

Posted

Sorry for the late response I've been working overtime. No I haven't grounded the alt to my chassis it's grounded to the engine block through the case I believe. I havn't done the big three yet but do plan on doing it soon. hopefully that will sort it out. I'll let you know how it goes..

Posted

Did you uninstall the radio while battery was still hooked up?

Since you have pioneer head unit, might be pico fuse.

*Hummer H3*

HeadUnit

Pioneer AVH-X4600BT

Mids and Highs

8-CT Sounds Pro 8" 8ohm

4-CT Sounds Pro Tweeters

Amplifiers

1-CT Sounds 125.4

1-CT Sounds 60.4

1-CT Sounds 7000.1

Electrical

3-Runs of 1/0 CT Sounds

8-XS Power D3100

3-Iraggi 300 amp Alternators

Subwoofers

4-SQ Hdc3 15" Subwoofers

(Soon to be 4 15" Ct Sounds EXO)

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7326 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...