TheMonolith2001 Posted June 13, 2013 Report Posted June 13, 2013 So my system is as follows: Pioneer DEH-80PRS head unit Focal PS165 component fronts Pioneer PRS-D800 2 channel amp Fi Q 18" 8 cubes/28hz tuned box Kicker ZR1000 amp bridged No rear speakers/HU amp turned off The first thing I bought was the head unit, messed around with it for a couple days, everything was great, eventually tried the auto ta/eq, helped a bit with the poopy stock speakers. Then I installed the sub and while doing so reset the unit with the button and did it again. Later installed the speakers/amp and did another reset. Each time I set everything back up pretty quickly at "good enough for now" settings because later on I knew I was doing another reset. I did my big 3/battery upgrade and again reset the unit. So the other day I decided to try the auto setup again finally and after doing so I noticed my sub/speakers where CRAZY louder than they where. I wasn't stupid enough to turn it all the way up again and blow anything up though I shut it right off. This didn't happen the last few times I did the auto setup though. I turned off the Auto TA AND Auto EQ so it would be basically back to stock and it was still WAY louder. I check my gains and sure enough they are now WAY too high after not having to touch them after multiple resets/redos of the auto setup. The preout voltage increased so much that I have to set the gain on the ZR1000 to almost zero and had to decrease it on the other amp quite a bit. Also I had before used the full 62/62 volume because I read on here this HU does not clip at that volume, This time I had to do 60/62 because on the zr1000 even with the gain knob all the way down it was still too high at the full 62. Anyone know what is going on here? I know the ZR1000 likes low pre volts so that is probably adding to it, it makes that knob damn sensitive! The RCAs are fused though so I shouldn't have broken anything there. As far as I know there isnt even an option to adjust preout volts so what else has changed? Should I just reset it again and try again? It seems like if I turn off auto TA and EQ I am undoing everything it just did. Even now with my gains set correctly at 60/62 it still seems a lot louder. I know if everything is set right gains wise I should be okay but I really cant afford to break anything right now! Side question, Is there a way to see what the auto eq is actually setting things to? I've pretty much memorized the manual at this point from reading it so much and don't remember there being anything in there about it. Thanks for your help, this forum has been a huge part of building my system!
skittlesRgood Posted June 13, 2013 Report Posted June 13, 2013 maybe the SLA got turned up on the HU. that would increase the voltage a good amount. I'd definitely try retuning though. oh, and you said the RCAs are fused. you mean inside the HU right? you didnt add some kind of fuse yourself right? If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood. Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/ Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.
TheMonolith2001 Posted June 13, 2013 Author Report Posted June 13, 2013 I tried looking at that as well, its set to 0 and the ASL is set to off. There is a fuse on my amp that protects the RCA inputs, it also requires an inline fuse for the power cable. This isnt a picture I took, but same thing, you can see it here: http://s1232.photobucket.com/user/extremechevyman67/media/003-1.jpg.html Also I always kinda thought my door speakers should be louder than they where, until now I guess. Im just worried they are getting TOO loud now. I kinda just assumed thats how the speakers sounded going for clarity over volume or something. EDIT: Also my ZR1000 came off the alma gates kicker bronco, its a bit off from standard, can operate up to 18v O_O supposedly it operates just the same with normal electrical as stock though, Maybe this thing puts out a lot more power now? I don't know. I REALLY need to get an oscope.
OrionStang Posted June 13, 2013 Report Posted June 13, 2013 Less gain is better. Roll with it. SMD Super Seller My Feedback Thread
skittlesRgood Posted June 13, 2013 Report Posted June 13, 2013 use a milti meter on the RCAs. play a 0db tone and see what the voltage says. If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood. Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/ Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.
TheMonolith2001 Posted June 13, 2013 Author Report Posted June 13, 2013 Okay I can go outside and do it right now. Any specific tone I should use? Ive been using a 50hz tone for the subwoofer and 1khz tone for the speakers to set gains this is okay right?
skittlesRgood Posted June 14, 2013 Report Posted June 14, 2013 yeah that's ok. If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood. Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/ Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.
TheMonolith2001 Posted June 14, 2013 Author Report Posted June 14, 2013 Okay so I pulled the RCA out of the ZR1000 and put my multimeter up to it. at 60/62 it was 1.7v, at 62/62 it was 2.7v. This was with 50hz. This seems to make sense because I remember reading somewhere once you go to 62 from 61 even you get a ~1v increase. Also I think I remember reading with the ZR1000 it likes 3v MAX. So it seems like it was messed up before and now it fixed itself? Something that wasn't resetting I guess?
skittlesRgood Posted June 14, 2013 Report Posted June 14, 2013 maybe so. but, as you deduced, the output voltage and the setting on the amp seem to add up to the results you're describing. sounds like you don't have a problem. If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood. Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/ Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.
TheMonolith2001 Posted June 14, 2013 Author Report Posted June 14, 2013 Nothing is broken AND more volume? Awesome news! Now I just need to get back to tuning this thing! I think I'm going to start with 80hz LPF for sub with 12db slobe, 62hz HPF with 12db slope for speakers, and EQ from there. Does that make sense? I'm assuming reverse phase the sub? I figure my speakers are pretty flat down to 60hz according to the spec sheet is why I chose that. The crossover stuff is what I'm totally new to because with home audio its usually not adjustable to this degree. As far as EQing goes, Because I'm insane ill sit in the car with a test tone for each EQ band and a db meter and adjust until each one is equal or as close as I can get. I don't have an RTA so I must punish my ears like this Man this forum is awesome EDIT: I just wish there was a way to have the HU limit itself to 60 now, people better not be messin with my radio!
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.