Sonic Electronix

Use a 4-layer or 8-layer voice coil?!?!?!?!? NEED TECHNICAL HELP!

I've been looking over a bunch of data and research and stuff about VC layering and there's a lot to it but there also seems to be a lot of discrepancies that I run into which are sorta throwing me off. Most info among various sources lines up generally speaking, but sometimes there seem to be contradictions or disagreements between facts. From what I understand there's a lot that comes into play when regarding which voice coil type would be better suited for certain applications, but I'm mainly interested in my own scenario. For my set-up, the choice is between a 4-layer or 8-layer flat aluminum wound 3" coil, and if I'm correct then the 8-layer coil would be less efficient but it should be able to handle more power and be easier to reach a higher Bl along with more mass giving it a lower resonance frequency, and I believe it might also improve the low end response while compromising some on the higher end. Though the part I'm most confused on is the sensitivity between the 2 coils, coming to the conclusion that the 4-layer would have a better sensitivity than the 8-layer?

I'm also wondering able the coil material, from what I've read it seems like the lighter weight flat aluminum coils are better for higher power applications, yet wouldn't the BL of a round-wire copper coil of the same length and wind height be higher than that of an aluminum coil? As well as having a higher sensitivity? Since one of the thing I believe an 8-layer is good for is heat concerns, as it would take longer to heat up to a higher temperature than the 4-layer(??), if I did an 8-layer round wire copper with the same power would it compensate for the heat at a high power application?

This is assuming that they are in the same gap, with the same flux density.

Any input it very much appreciated.

(Sorry if there are any technical errors in here, just try to interpret it for what it is I guess lol)

Biomedical/Behavioral Science Major, The (Self-Proclaimed) Undisputed-Homemade-Woofer-King

Super-Neodymium-Woofer Build Log: The D4BA-V.2 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169236-diy-super-neodymium-woofer-build-log/?p=2475620

Fucking love Alan you goddamned fucking super nerd lol

When Alan uses big words I don't understand

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

Everytime I see a guy driving a mini cooper I cant help but think he loves cock & (2/29/16)-My wife just bitched at me about throwing out things we don't really use. My response of well we don't really use your vagina so should we throw that out was evidently not the right response. I had to leave the room.

I missed Alan.

RIP 5/29/15 - I love you son.

I would do 8layer for daily and 4layer if you were burping. You pretty much summed it up with the lower fs higher bl, more power for daily. Also I have read a few places from some pretty stand up guys that a 4layer will burp higher numbers on the same exact setup, but you are building for daily right? I say go with 8layer, go beefy, overbuild this sumbitch.

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

I would do 8layer for daily and 4layer if you were burping. You pretty much summed it up with the lower fs higher bl, more power for daily. Also I have read a few places from some pretty stand up guys that a 4layer will burp higher numbers on the same exact setup, but you are building for daily right? I say go with 8layer, go beefy, overbuild this sumbitch.

Yeah I definitely plan on having this available for music, but I still want to put up a nice TL score. Thank for the input!

Biomedical/Behavioral Science Major, The (Self-Proclaimed) Undisputed-Homemade-Woofer-King

Super-Neodymium-Woofer Build Log: The D4BA-V.2 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169236-diy-super-neodymium-woofer-build-log/?p=2475620

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

Everytime I see a guy driving a mini cooper I cant help but think he loves cock & (2/29/16)-My wife just bitched at me about throwing out things we don't really use. My response of well we don't really use your vagina so should we throw that out was evidently not the right response. I had to leave the room.

I missed Alan.

Also, I've been trying to ignore the fact that there is no way I'll be able to do anything decent with my stock electrical, so now that I'm accepting the fact that I need to upgrade, what am I looking at for need of batteries?

If I get a 240A mechman, and I'm trying to fully run the 3.5k at it's full potential, how many batteries will I need? Can I do it with just the stock battery up front and a d3100 spare in the trunk??

I missed Alan.

Biggest agm batt up front and 3100 in the back with ofc wire and your golden

04 dodge dakota ext cab 4x4

excessive amperage 300 amp alt with MONSTER stud =)sundown z v3 15 in a 4th order on aq2200sundown 100.4 2 way active...2 Prv audio 6mb200 & 2 re XXX tweetersdeka intimidatorkenwood x396big 3 1/0 knu wire back to deka intimidator

Archived