sub enclosure

Hello every one, new to the home audio stuff. Im going to help a friend build a enclosure with 2 Sundown e15s and Ive seen here that a home set up will be different than in a car. The box will be sealed or ported (dont know yet) with both subs in it,most likely down firing. It will be in a large room (30x13 or so) and a do all set up for gaming tv and music.

Could someone help with how big this thing should be? from what Ive seen it should be bigger than it would be in a car to fill the room.The sub amp is 400 rms,Ill post specs for the subs. Thanks

The E series woofer was designed to eliminate our typical frustrations with entry level woofers : low thermal capactiy, limited mechanical capacity and durability, and low motor force. The E series woofer utilize a high quality 2" copper voice coil wound on black aluminum anodized voice coil former. The coil is then mated to a large diameter high quality nomex spider on all three sizes fully equipped with round tied down tinsel lead wires to ensure the utmost levels of durability.

Of course this is Sundown Audio so we didn't stop there -- not even with our least expensive woofer! The E line is equipped with our proprietary custom tooled triple joint support ring (this ring was originally developed for the SA and Z v.3 lines) to prevent glue joint failure even under the most extreme circumstances. The thermal capacity of the coil is also further enchanced by a chamfered solid pole piece and direct voice coil gap ventilation -- features almost never found on an entry level woofer. As with all Sundown Audio woofers the E line features a large diamter magnet slug at a full 6.65" -- even our least expensive woofer is already making waves in the SPL lanes.

• RE: 3.8ohm
  • Fs: 29.4 hz
  • Qes: 0.57
  • Qms: 6.39
  • Qts: 0.52
  • Le: 1.83mH
  • Vas: 147.7L
  • BL: 15.6NA
  • Cms: 0.15MM/N
  • Mms: 195.9grams
  • Sens: n/a 1w/1m
  • Xmax: 12mm one-way linear
  • RMS: 400 watts

Enclosure Suggestions:

• Sealed: 2.5 ft^3
  • Ported: 3.0-4.0 ft^3 @ 35hz
  • Displacement: 0.15 ft^3
  • Outside Diameter: 15 1/8"
  • Depth: 7 1/4"
  • Cut-Out: 13 7/8"

enclosure size doesnt need to be bigger because of the area its in my re se 12 gets louder and lower in my living room then in my room. it gets louder in my car but not as low. bass frequences need a larger area to go to there full wave length id just go with the ported enclosure. or get a box design program and build an optimal ported enclosure wich would be rather large. but you would have a sub that should have very little dip between fq ranged up to what its crossed over at

I picked up an MTX Sw1212 powered subwoofer today. This thing sounds amazing. 130 watts, 12" woofer with a passive 12" woofer tuned to 27 hz. Moving the pictures on the walls and my girl got wet from the bass when i showed her haha. Tonight should be good haha.

enclosure size doesnt need to be bigger because of the area its in my re se 12 gets louder and lower in my living room then in my room. it gets louder in my car but not as low. bass frequences need a larger area to go to there full wave length id just go with the ported enclosure. or get a box design program and build an optimal ported enclosure wich would be rather large. but you would have a sub that should have very little dip between fq ranged up to what its crossed over at

So would the optimal size be what sundown said for a ported box,or would ti be bigger? What about down firing,would that be the best choice?

you would need a box doesign progrom to find the optimal for a flat fq responce id just go with sundowns specs. downfiring just changes the direction the sub is firing so you would want to keep that in mind during placement in the room

I picked up an MTX Sw1212 powered subwoofer today. This thing sounds amazing. 130 watts, 12" woofer with a passive 12" woofer tuned to 27 hz. Moving the pictures on the walls and my girl got wet from the bass when i showed her haha. Tonight should be good haha.

Down fireing also loads off the floor enhancing bass and you will probably have to move the box around to find the optimul place to put it in the room and since it wont be for movies probably will be safe tuning in the mid 30s with the recomended sundown box size since less the rms to the subs the larger of there recimmended size..... if it was for movies a large low tuned box is usually the way to go...

Archived