Second Skin Audio

need ideas for fixing rattle in box

2010gmc

1) clipping can be cause by bass boost from head unit or amp, could be from the head unit not playing clean all the way to full volume, could be from the gain being to high, but here is the kicker, dirty music. dirty music can be cd's bought from a store downloaded from the interwebs or however you got it it can be dirty.

2) big 3 consist of adding a larger wire to the alternator + to the battery +, battery ground to frame/chassis, engine ground to frame/chassis. instead of engine ground do a ground from an alt mounting bolt to the frame/chassis. its gives you a better return path then going through the engine to the alt.

3) thats the point of learning. everyone on this forum are here to share their knowledge and learn more. its what its here for and full of info. keep creeping through build logs and searching for info on here.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

oh and even though you friend worked at an audio shop does not mean the gain is set right. nothing against your friend but i have set my gains with my ears for years now. first time getting them set right with a dd-1 and i was clipping a little before getting it set right. plain and simple your ears will not hear the small amount of clipping/distortion no matter the amount of years exp doing it that way. search the forum for the smd tool map, its a google map of everyone that owns a dd-1, oscope, termlab, and other tools that help with car audio.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

I still bet money on the former hitting the motor. Have to hit the right frequency when out of the box. Having it in the box makes it worse but its still there...

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

I can't find a picture of the back of that sub, does it have a vented pole piece? I mean does the magnet have a hole in the center of it? If it does that could be causing the rattle. You might have to just add a layer of fiberglass and mat to the inside of the box there.

So it has a vented pole piece, if that vent is super close to the back of the box then the air coming out of it could make the box rattle, or cause air pressure to build up under the dust cap and cause rattle there too. How close it the magnet to the back of the box?

Possible. Shouldn't be that much.

I remember op said he tried one sub out of the box... Did he free air the other sub?

The reason I say this is because this is a known issue with this line of subs, and I swore up and down it was the box. Wish I had shots of the former to show you what I mean. Also the rattle was noisier in the box than out of it... But you should hear almost nothing from a free aired sub.

2007 Pacifica

If you look down into my motor or whatever there is a metal screen in there

pic of your motor? Gray or black cone sub?

2007 Pacifica

Archived