Second Skin Audio

JL 12WX-4 ideas

Airborne

I am picking up a pair of these on Monday to possibly use in my home stereo. I was thinking a couple of t-line towers with mids and tweets. Any ideas?

these are the specs I dug up

Free Air Resonance (Fs) 27.43 Hz Electrical “Q” (Qes) 0.596 Mechanical “Q” (Qms) 9.97 Total Speaker “Q” (Qts) 0.562 Equivalent Compliance (Vas) 3.337 cu ft / 94.49 liters One-Way Linear Excursion (Xmax)* 0.375 in / 10 mm Reference Efficiency (no) 0.31% Efficiency (1 W / 1 m)** 87.17 dB SPL Effective Piston Area (Sd) 76.950 sq in / 0.0496 sq m DC Resistance (Re) 3.51 Ω Continuous Power Handling (RMS) 200 W Recommended RMS Amplifier Power 75 - 200 W Nominal Impedance (Znom) 4 Ω

they are coming REAL cheap if you know what I mean. and they are either going in my living room or music room. Size isn't an issue and I am not sure how they would be expensive. Hell, I could make sonotubes if someone told me how long they need to be

That could definitely work. I would load the subs and port against the wall with the mids and tweets facing forward. I wouldn't use any advice meant for a car audio environment for building your enclosures since it's a completely different environment. You'll need more low end extension in the house, so larger lower tuned boxes are in order here.

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

the FS is low enough but it looks like the QTS is too high. The tutorial says below .40 is ideal and these subs are .56. and QMS needs to be below 7 and these are near 10.

looks like some good old fashioned ported boxes are in order

Separate cabs, 2.5 cubes, subs facing forward, port near the bottom of the box facing wall behind. 4" PVC port 14" long.

If possible, use 3/4" round-over bit in a router inside the port exit.

If your mids/highs are not sealed back units then make sure to seal them off from the subbass part of the enclosure.

edit: tuning is 28Hz.

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

Archived